Slide and Hunter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie

Reaction score
I plan to hike Slide and Hunter on Monday 5/26 in my quest of the NE115. I am a strong hiker so how much time should I allocate for these two? My plan is to approach from Frost Valley Road and Spructeton Road respectively. Is parking a problem? Any recommendation for a good lunch place between the two? Also, this is probably a dumb question but is there any snow left up high?

No snow to speak of. If you are looking for the quickest ways, here they are:

Hunter via Becker Hollow is only 4.4 miles round trip. It takes me about 1.5 hours up and 1 hour down.

For Slide, the quickest way is from Ct. Rt. 47, (aka Frost Valley Rd.), about 6 miles round trip. The Trailhead is about 2500' so really not a lot of elevation gain for the Cat's largest mountain! :D

As far as lunch suggestions, there is a small "general store" at the corner of CR47 (the road the trailhead is on) and SR28 in the town of Big Indian. You could possibly get a quick bite to eat there.

There are a couple of sit down places in between CR 47 and SR42 (for you to get to Spruceton Road) but not sure of any quick places... However, as Tom mentioned, Becker hollow should be the fastest way to get to Hunter and also a shorter drive. as you'd go east on SR28 to get to SR214 in Phoenicia.

In phoenicia, there will be a gas station and a larger grocery store on the corner of Main and Bridge and also a few places were you could probably get a decent meal at a good time, like Brios which has a diner like bar to them and the grocery store has some lunch stuff and premade stuff.

Jay

lunch

The best lunch spot by far is the Black Bear Hollow Cafe on Route 28, 2 miles west of Phoenicia. Tell Kurt (the chef/owner) that Halia sent you! We end every hike there (even ones that aren't in the catskills!). Food is excellent, place is relaxed and when it's cold, there's a fire. Tell them if you are in a hurry - you can get anything to go. If you are coming from Slide, and you decide to go up from Becker Hollow, then you'll drive right past Black Bear Hollow. On the right, the sign says Crazy Good Roadside Oasis, in addition to the name.

Have a great time out there - I've done both peaks a couple of times using the routes Tom described. I agree that those are the most efficient parking areas/routes to accomplish what you have in mind. Enjoy!

:) Halia

Last edited:
slide

I like to do Slide as a loop going up the main trail and down the Curtis-Ormsby (sp?) trail. It probably takes a little longer, but you'll avoid most of the crowd that way and there is a nice view of Table Mt and some interesting rock outcroppings.

nietzschescat said:
I like to do Slide as a loop going up the main trail and down the Curtis-Ormsby (sp?) trail. It probably takes a little longer, but you'll avoid most of the crowd that way and there is a nice view of Table Mt and some interesting rock outcroppings.
Yes, I agree with that. The descent on the Curtis-Ormsbee is also a bit easier on the knees. It may add 30-45 minutes on the descent, but should leave adequate time to do Hunter.

Similarly for Hunter Mt; a round trip on the Spruceton Trail (6.8 miles) rather than Becker Hollow Trail (4.4 miles) is also easier on the knees. However, a lunch stop at Black Bear Hollow cafe would be less convenient, and your return drive to New England would also be a bit longer. If you do opt for the shorter and steeper Becker Hollow Trail, be sure to take in the viewpoint opposite the top of the Becker Hollow Trail. It is on a short yellow blazed side trail/path. It provides a considerably different and more intimate view over the Spruceton Valley than you get from the fire tower. That viewpoint is also a good song bird listening spot. There is a different yellow blazed cut-over trail from near the top of the Becker Hollow Trail which goes more directly to the fire tower. It also passes a pipe spring. You can do one of the yellow trails on the way up and the other on the way down depending on when you need the water stop. That makes for a short loop near the top of Hunter.

Be forewarned that the section of the PE trail between the CO and the BR trail is generally a flowing stream in places as runoff from slide runs across the trail.... usually it's hopable on the rocks....

Jay

My suggestion would be to hike Hunter by way of Becker Hollow, then go grab lunch in Phoenicia or nearby, then go climb Slide. That way you can make a decision whether or not to return down Slide using the Curtis-Ormsbee Trail. It you have sufficient energy, it really doesn't add much mileage and is well worth it.

Matt

...nice start to the summer season

What a great day it turned out to be! I hiked Hunter in the AM, Slide in the PM and stopped for lunch at the Black Bear Cafe. Both hikes took about 2 1/2 hrs hiking time each. Thanks again to all for their advise.
My next trip is in July in the French, Swiss and Italian Alps with no particular hiking plans (25th wedding anniversary trip) but I'll get a couple of hikes in. Then mid-August for the boys-only (my brother-in-law and our sons) Whites Whirlwind Week, based out of a cushy condo in Lincoln, but also Galehead and Zealand Huts. Plans are for Garfield, Galehead, both Twins, Zealand, Hale, the Bonds, Cannon and the Kinsmans, Tecumseh, and a twofer like the Hancocks or Tripryamids. You can measure how good a vacation is by how tired you are when you go back to work! I also have a friend trying to get Baxter S.P. passes (he "knows" someone) so we can go for Baxter, Hamlin and N. Brother. I look forward to writing my "What I did on my Summer Vacation" essay.

Now I have to get back to work... :(

Last edited: