Small accurate thermometer suggestions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

Reaction score
I keep a small thermometer on my pack zipper. It's a simple keychain thermometer. This weekend I noticed it won't go below 0F, even though it has markings down to -20F. I know it was below 0F this weekend because of the thermometer on the Grey Knob hut and Mt. W's temp readings.

Do any of you have suggestions for an accurate but small thermometer? While I'm at it, some kind of small compass I can clip onto my pack would be useful also.

Kestrel 3000...not small, not cheap but works great!

I too looked high and low for a compact, relatively inexpensive thermometer to replace the keytag thermometer that was given to me. I have literally stood on summits with five other hikers having the keytags and we all had different readings +-5 degrees. I searched on-line, through catalogs (Forestry Suppliers, etc.) and nothing - either they were too fragile, too bulky or too cheap/inaccurate. Ultimately I ended up getting the Kestrel and love it - has to have the most accurate and fast thermometer I've ever used. You can compare all the models on-line here:

http://www.kestrelmeters.com/custserv/info.jsp?pageName=Compare_Kestrel_Meters

Good luck on your search. I was looking on the side for 3 years but have been very, very happy with the Kestrel and have had several friends pick them up after trying mine.

-mark

Nexus said:
Good luck on your search. I was looking on the side for 3 years but have been very, very happy with the Kestrel and have had several friends pick them up after trying mine.

Someone I hike with on occasion has one of the 4k series and loves it, too. I use a cheapo keyring thermometer. It's close enough for me.

For a compass, you can get a small baseplate compass from Silva or the Silva 27, a small mirror compass. I have one of each. I really like the Silva 27.

Maybe your keychain thermometer was bunk. I've got an old Oregon Scientific camping-baro that I recently compared with an old keychain and they both read the same. Who knows.

I'm sure quality control on these little key chain thermometers is minimal, so some may work fine and others not. I want my bragging rights to be accurate to the degree though. :)

I was just whining about this yesterday, not knowing for sure how cold it was on the Kanc this weekend. When I'm camping out, or skiing along the upper Livermore Road, I want to know how hard the wind is blowing and how cold it actually is, as well as what my accurate elevation is. So a Kestrel is definitely in my future! The only odd thing is that it's pretty much a discretionary item and comes at significant cost (unlike the cheapo zipper-pull thermometer, which is nonetheless useless).

Mongoose said:
Thanks for the link sardog, these ones look interesting:
http://www.benmeadows.com/store/Weather/Portable_Equipment/Thermometers/21223/?recsPerPage=45

One version goes from -30F to 120F and has an "armored casing". I wonder if the casing is durable enough to take backpacking.

Thats the one I have. I broke at least 2 of the taylor glass thermometers in the plastic case and one in the aluminum case until I got the armoured one. It has survived many a bushwhack so I can attest to it's durability. Though I never dropped it on rock or cement.

I don't frequently carry it these days as I'm focused on lightweight and the armoured thermometer is not.

I did use it today to adjust my fridge.

I think I would favor the small dial themometers as I use one at work and it is lighter and robust.

John H Swanson said:
I don't frequently carry it these days as I'm focused on lightweight and the armoured thermometer is not.

How much would you say it weighs? I'm willing to spare a few ounces if it's accurate.

Funny, we used to call the key chain thermometers "feelgood thermometers". No matter the temperature, it always said 50. If it was freezing, it said 50. If it was scorchingly hot, it said 50.

I think it was broken.

24g +/-4g (scale accuracy)

or, if you prefer, about 1 oz.

About half the weight of my estimate, but it still seems heavy.

That's not bad. I won't notice it with all my other 20 below hiking gear. Thanks for the info.