Small gifts for kids who hike/backpack?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pudgy_groundhog

Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas for small (and relatively inexpensive) items to give as a gift to a friend with two small boys who hike/backpack. The boys are ~ 5 and 3. Either items they can take with them on a trip (travel game, neat flashlight, etc) or an item that is just a hiking theme (like a small stuffed hiking bear). Any ideas? I know there are people on here with kids, so figured it would be a good place to get suggestions. Thanks!

Thanks for the recommendations Bobby. I did see that key ring on Campmor and it's nice to hear the kids like it (I don't have kids yet-- so not really in tune with these things). The ornament is also a good idea.

Don't get them a whistle ;)
Compasses are cool
500ml Nalgene bottles are cool
Trail Mix is very good ("You can have the M&Ms when you get to the top")
My son loves to look at maps
Flashlights

Tim
with 4.5- and 7-year olds.

Last edited:
Don't get them a whistle
ha ha! Good point. We once went to Gander Mountain and it happened to be a day of free giveaways .... of whistles. The kids in there were going to beserk and I asked one of the sales people whose bright idea it was to give away whistles to kids. She looked like she was about to tear her hair out.

Thanks for the ideas bikehikeskifish and sleeping bear!

Binoculars are a great gift, but they are not inexpensive -- I wouldn't give one to a little kid. Mine are allowed to use my good ones, but only under close supervision.

You reminded me that my son also loves a magnifying glass, especially in concert with the bug jar.

So I asked my little ones - my daughter (7) says "A cute hiking outfit" and my son says "I want a backpack like yours".

Tim

bikehikeskifish said:
Binoculars are a great gift, but they are not inexpensive -- I wouldn't give one to a little kid. Mine are allowed to use my good ones, but only under close supervision.

You reminded me that my son also loves a magnifying glass, especially in concert with the bug jar.

So I asked my little ones - my daughter (7) says "A cute hiking outfit" and my son says "I want a backpack like yours".

Tim

I've got two pairs of cheap (small) binoculars that were ten bucks each.
Also, I recently saw (while getting a gift for a non-hiking four year old) at Target, those red fold-up binolculars with a compass in the middle. I had one as a kid and LOVED it. I think I actually had two of them.

flashlights-kids love flashlights right down to toddler age

Look around and you can find them in fish shapes, cool colors etc

I wasn't impressed with the Fisher Price animal ones. They were difficult for little hands and the mouths of the animals blocked the beam. Stick to real flashlights that are cool.

Campmor retail store has a bunch of little toys that are packable for kids, I'm sure most of the outdoor stores have stuff. If you get the REI catalog too, usually during their christmas catalog, they will list inexpensive stocking stuffers, many of them are kids toys with the backpacking theme to them...

Jay

I agree with the flashlight statement - I remember as a kid I always had a military flashlight in my bedroom with the colored lenses and stuff. I think one thing to think of is getting something that's also going to be used outside of hiking.

Jay H said:
Campmor retail store has a bunch of little toys that are packable for kids, I'm sure most of the outdoor stores have stuff. If you get the REI catalog too, usually during their christmas catalog, they will list inexpensive stocking stuffers, many of them are kids toys with the backpacking theme to them...

Jay

:eek: Stocking stuffers?? I thought Santa did that. What are you saying?

Bobby said:
:eek: Stocking stuffers?? I thought Santa did that. What are you saying?

Ohhh, not for kids, it's for the easter bunny. :D I like to buy little things to give to the Easter Bunny and Casper the friendly ghost... yeah.

Jay

The mother in me would probably get a scrap book for the 5 yrs old, encourage him to start writing simple journal, collect dried-leaf or use pencil to imprint texture of tree barks or signs etc...

The kid in me would really really want a whistle :D, binoculors would be nice too. Or a key chain LED light, only lite up when pitch down, that'll prevent draining the batteries. A set of walkie-talkie...?

When I was about 5 my dad used to pack along a battery operated 6x6 offroad toy for me to pull out and use during rest breaks and in camp. You can pick up much better versions today like these. They run on one AAA battery, aren't too heavy, and climb over almost anything. (They'll flip over if it gets too steep). The one battery will run quite a while. My aunt bought my son the double pack with the plastic rocks, but you can get them in singles. He loves them, and they'll entertain me too for an hour or so. :)

Walkie talkies are a good idea for when the younger one learns how to use them. For his 5th birthday I bought my son two battery operated ones (run on 3 or 4 AAA I think) for about $11/pair at Wal-Mart. He hasn't had his birthday yet, so I can't comment on how well they work.

They also make pocket travel games like checkers, chess, and backgammon. The newest ones have magnetic pieces.

Flashlights are an awesome idea, the tiny AAA Solitaire or the 2 AA MagLites are very robust, almost indestuctable.

If they hike one area a lot like the Whites, get the older child his own set of maps to highlight. Maybe even a pocket card for identifying animal tracks or birds.

For older kids, maybe a pocket-sized short-wave radio. Reception should be really good up high. A small camera for the kids to take their own photos is nice too. Some cheap digital versions are out now, some as low as $20. No display and I don't know how good the quality is, but might be worth looking into.

There's a plethora of gadgets out there, some of it fairly cheap. Let us know how you make out.

Wally's sells fairly reasonably priced led head-lamps. I think those are superior to flash lights because they last a long time on AAA batteries, and they allow the kid to be hands free. My son loves when I give him one of mine to use.

-percious