Snow Claw for glissading - review

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
I'm sorry to have to say this, but I tried using the Snow Claw a few times this winter, and I do not like it for glissading.

I even bought the straps so that my hands were not right down on the snow, but it still has problems. I ended up cutting my wrists because the straps are still held in the snowshoe track, which was frozen on the edges.

Simply wearing waterproof pants was much more effective than the Snow Claw.

It's too small to stay on top of the snow. You really have to work hard to stay in the track.

I'm sure there are other good uses for this tool, and at 5 ounces, it's certainly light enough. But if you're only going to use it for butt sliding, don't bother. :(

Glissade?

Works great for a shovel which is what it is for. Also makes a good deadman for staking tents in snow. Can use it for a splint if you have some straps assuming you have a plastic one. There is an aluminum model as well.

I've tried the snowclaw also, not the best tool out there IMO. I just found a $1.99 spectacular at Target. In the spports area, looks like a seat with a handle. Made in Finland and extrememly effective. I flew down Moosilauke last week. I'll let you know on the durability throughout the winter, but it looks like it will hold up well. I'm hoping to slide sown Passaconaway tomorrow.
Happy sliding :)

focusonbalance said:
I've tried the snowclaw also, not the best tool out there IMO. I just found a $1.99 spectacular at Target. In the spports area, looks like a seat with a handle. Made in Finland and extrememly effective. I flew down Moosilauke last week. I'll let you know on the durability throughout the winter, but it looks like it will hold up well. I'm hoping to slide sown Passaconaway tomorrow.
Happy sliding :)

Please do!

Giggy, I do not winter camp, so I have not used it as a shovel.

Snow shovel

Giggy-I just got back from a couple of days in Yosemite. The first day, a Sno-Claw would have been fine as a shovel-soft new snow; the second day, the snow was hard as a rock and a Sno-Claw would have been useless for anything except sitting on. I have both a Sno-Claw and the Voile mini-shovel. I've only carried the Voile a couple of times, but after using it, I won't go out without it. It's also way better for digging out your car when you get back. FYI, the Voile has a metal blade, not plastic like some others-well worth the weight in my limited experience.

HAMTERO said:
I might have been a little harsh sounding in my earlier post. Personally i would be afraid of crashing into a tree or rock sliding down a normal hiking trail.
Harsh? IMO, no.

You can fracture your coccyx (tail bone) or get some nasty cuts. (Both have happened in sitting glissades.) There have been a number of reports of injuries on this BBS.

Doug