Snow on Mount Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
Higher summit forecast calls for a chance of mixed precipitation today, so it could happen again. Pretty cool.

no kidding!

MWSummit temps nudged above 32F at about 4 pm this afternoon, winds diminished to 50 MPH at about the same time. Didn't look to be a lasting relief as blackness was building in Great Gulf at the same time

Not a surprise that 19 Mile Brook, N. Imp, S. Imp trailheads were full to overflowing.

Pinkham Notch staffers, USFS and HoJo's were all advising against hiking above treeline today. AMC got a call from the MWAR at 7:30 this morning advising them that the Summit Stage was NOT a reliable bail-out option, given weather conditions.

NH State Parks personnel were observing the first drenched and shivering arrivals at MW Summit before 10 AM.

Breeze

:eek:

We got tossed around a bit by high winds on Lions Head today, probably around 60 MPH based on Obs reports and the consensus of the group of six I was in. It was upper 30/lower 40s in the Alpine Garden; apparently about 33 on the summit. Watching the clouds blow through the ravines was spectacular!

Windy and Cold across the Carters

Started at 7:30 am up the Carter-Moriah trail from Gorham, by the time we reached Moriah Summit at 10;15 there was 0 visability, 46 degrees and 25 to 30 mph winds. As we continued across the Carters the cloud ceiling got higher so we began to have views mainly to the North/West, winds began to pick up and I recorded one gust at 40mph but I am sure there were much high gusts with the temps down to 40 degrees the wind chill was down to the low 20's. I was glad to have some cold weather gear. Looking across to the presidential I had a feeling that they might be have some snow. Got out to the 19 mile Brook Trail head at 5:30 and as a previous thread noted the parking area was full with cars also parked along the road. Great hike, bagged 3 more 4000 footers and a great reminder to be prepared for and kind of weather any time of year.

Plenty of action on Jackson

I came thru Mitzpah and Jackson late in the afternoon, and on top of Jackson there was a sustained 40-50 mph wind. I weighed probably a touch over 250 pounds with my big pack on, and I was getting blown around on top of the summitt, had a hard time walking around. Pretty chilly too, maybe somewhere around 40 degrees? Looking north towards Washington, there were some dark ominous clouds.