Snow shoes needed in ADKs?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HapyHkngSmile

Reaction score
:rolleyes:

Anyone know if snowshoes are yet needed in ADKs (specifically starting from Loj)? Planning an overnight to Avalanche lake and perhaps a Colden summit...

HapyHkngSmile said:
:rolleyes:

Anyone know if snowshoes are yet needed in ADKs (specifically starting from Loj)? Planning an overnight to Avalanche lake and perhaps a Colden summit...
The best thing to do is to bring everything you have with you to the trailhead and ask when you get there what to expect. The staff will be glad to assist you.

If there are 8 inches of snow or more and you go out without snowshoes THIS is what can happen to you.

When it comes to Postholing and overall Trail Ettique I usually bring one of These along. Like Tom said bring it all and ask questions later.

Take 'em. From the lakeplacid.com web site:

"Backcountry Conditions:

Snow Depth at Lake Colden: 18 inches
Snow Depth at 4,000 ft.: 20-24 + inches
Surface Conditions: powder
Comments: Truck trails to Marcy Dam, Fish Pond, Hayes Brook plus the Newcomb Lake Road now skiable. Whiteface Highway also has good cover, windy conditions on Saturday may have blown some stretches clear. Trail beyond Marcy Dam to Avalanche Camp and Lake not quite ready for skiing, but it's getting close. Ice on Avalanche and Lake Colden just barely crossable. use caution and avoid inlet and outlets. Some slush under the snow. No report from above 4,000 feet as of Tuesday, but Mt. Mansfield reports three feet at that elevation."

Post Holing - Oh No!!!!!

:eek:

Yes I have spent many treks up here in the North East wondering if folks had any boots left - post holing in 2+ ft of snow :)

I shall take it all and then some! Looking forward to it and very excited!

I thought they where required all year long! :D :D

During the off-season (spring-summer-fall) they redistribute your weight minimizing trail damage and such. :p ;)