snow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Viewseeker said:
Any snow or ice in the peaks yet??

There were the starting patches of ice in the Daks a few weeks ago, and last week on Osceola in the Whites there was snow and a few patches of ice.

A fellow I was hiking with last week called the season we are entering a good time to prepare for "transition hikes". Meaning traction, layering, wind and rain protection, and an emergency blanket or bivy just in case. Whether you know the ice is there or not, now is the time to be prepared for it -- and for the arrival of colder temps as well.

Do you have traction aids like Stabilicers? Some rainwear and a good layering system? Gloves/glove liners, hat for above treeline/summits? Familiar with the signs/symptoms of hypothermia in yourself and others?

Those are things that I would suggest carrying this time of year as we move from fall to winter, and skills to brush up on or learn as you may find yourself in a position to exercise them for yourself or help another.

Last edited:
Totally melted out with temps in the 70s in northern New Hampshire. Last week was like Septamber.

Viewseeker, glare ice on Marcy northern summit approach yesterday, scroll to top for trip report :) .

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=48770#post48770

albee said:
There might be some snow or ice out there somewhere, but do you carry enough water with you when you hike? This is a particularly tricky season for hydrating properly, because the temperatures are usually cool and if you aren't sweating then you might not feel so thirsty. Are you familiar with the signs for hunger or thirst in yourself and others? Do you own a nalgene bottle? Maybe an old 32 oz Gatorade bottle?

Eating is important, too. Are you taking in enough calories on your hikes? I like Snickers bars. A fellow I know brings a package of hot dogs to munch on while he's hiking. (Yes, it is safe to eat hot dogs raw.)

It also gets dark earlier these days. Do you bring a flashlight or headlamp with you on your hikes, just in case?

Has this been helpful? Now bring on that "green love"! :D :D

Sigh....Albee..... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
snow/ice

Thanks everyone for there input...as always I'm a dacks' guy and with this weekends weather going to craps i was looking for another time and as of this time last year i hikied with a group on whiteface and one of the members took a slip infront of my eyes and needed rescue from a broken ankle. This being in mind im just preparing for one day hike as im not much on winter conditions hiking in crampons.Otherwise im pretty good at the signs and taking care of myself and getting others help. Always take warm and correct clothes for warmth and dryness. Food and water also.So you've answered my question..yes it is starting to ice up so it will be spotty from time to time in the up coming months.
:D

Wow. Great pictures.

What camera did you use??

Latest posts