Snowshoeing goes Mainstream

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read somewhere that there was a significant increase in popularity after a well-known actress (Melanie Griffith, IIRC) announced that snowshoeing had shrunk her hips and tail.

Doug

Last edited:
From the article:
Walter recommends bringing hand and foot warmers, and gators to keep the snow out of your pant legs, especially in soft snow.

Hmmm. Gators?

Looks like Doug is the only one I know of ( judging by his avatar) that is equipped thusly.

Is he/she effective at keeping the snow out, Doug? :D

Hmmm yes. I myself would much prefer snow in my pant legs than to have gators down there!!! :D I have been on this site way too much today and am finding very silly things extremely funny. Not sure if it's the Tylenol with codeine that I took yesterday or the fall I took that necessitated the pills, but I have the giggles :p .

Tim Seaver said:
Looks like Doug is the only one I know of ( judging by his avatar) that is equipped thusly.
Gaitors love gaiters. Particularly if there is something tasty inside (or attached). It does require a bit of chewing to get to the reward, tho...

Is he/she effective at keeping the snow out, Doug? :D
Didn't see any snow in anyone's shoes when I took the pic... :)

Doug

Like someone told me years ago,about sea kayaking.
"Don't worry about it getting too crowded out there...it's way too much work for normal people!"
You may see the hoards tromping around in rental shoes at the Fells Reservation,but I don't think we'll ever see snowshoe conga lines in the Whites!

KayakDan said:
but I don't think we'll ever see snowshoe conga lines in the Whites!

Snowshoe conga lines in the whites? I've seen em...

Please! Most everyone on here who goes out in the winter is probably part of the great snowshoe trend. That is, unless you sport the old school wood and rawhide.

sleeping bear said:
Snowshoe conga lines in the whites? I've seen em...

Please! Most everyone on here who goes out in the winter is probably part of the great snowshoe trend. That is, unless you sport the old school wood and rawhide.

Guilty as charged :( However the trend got started in the late Pliestocene early Holocene. I like the upgrade from moose hide to gortex, so swanky. The concept hasn't changed just the motive I guess. The trend has shifted from going out to get food to going out to get views to going out to work off your food.