Snowshoes with ski boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yan

Reaction score
We are planning to go to Mont Tremblant (ski resort up in Quebec), snowshoe up and ski down, then repeat and go home. We can't decide whether we need to wear hiking boots on the way up or ski boots. The downside of wearing hiking boots is that in an hour to hour and a half that it takes us to climb those 2000' the inner boots of our ski boots will become hard as a rock and I am afraid that skiing in them will be very uncomfortable and may be even painful. On the other hand my partners have serious concerns about wearing snowshoes with ski boots. Anyone tried that? Thanks.

trailbiscuit said:
Something else to consider is whether or not the boots would fit in the snowshoe binding.
That I have already tried - they fit just fine.

Nahh, I don't think you want to hike up in ski boots with snowshoes. Heck, you might as well just walk up in the ski boots. Are you walking up the ski slopes themselves??

Your foot should be warm enough after the hike to warm up the ski boot. If you really have a concern about putting on a cold ski boot - leave it outside for a few hours and try it out.

Otherwise - count me jealous that you're going to be up at Tremblant. Great place!! :cool:

bubba said:
Nahh, I don't think you want to hike up in ski boots with snowshoes. Heck, you might as well just walk up in the ski boots. Are you walking up the ski slopes themselves??
Yes, we will probably walk up the ski slopes and somewhere near. But we may take a shortcut if there is enough snow off the ski slopes. Planning to walk up the South side and ski the North side, this way we have no choice but to repeat in order to get back to the car :)

I've snowshoed in plastic mountaineering boots on Atlas 1025 snowshoes with the older strap bindings. Worked fine. You burn more energy because of the extra weight, but other than that, you should be fine. Otherwise, wear lighter boots and throw a pair of those chemical warmers in the ski boots to keep the liners warm.

All good info. Snowshoe bindings are much more forgiving than crampons, etc. They'll fit most any footwear. I snowshoe all the time in my Scarpa T1s, with no trouble. I like to have them for the ski down, and I don't like backcountry boot changes, although the chemical heaters are a good idea.

A lot of it depends on your specific alpine ski boot, if that's what you're wearing. Regarding the walking, some boots have a better "walking release" mechanism than others. Any leg fatigue you get from hiking in the ski boots is more due to fixation of your ankle (so you don't toe off) that it is due to the weight of the boots. Regarding getting into the boots, if you do decide to change, that also depends on the boot, and whether you keep it warm. About 25 years ago when I was still skiing alpine I had a related experience. When I got to the summit, I was unable (even with the help of a partner and two ski poles) to force open my frozen alpine ski boots to get them on. I ended up skiing down with my plastic mountaineering boots force fit into my alpine ski bindings (doubtless an unsafe set up).

I'd wear the ski boots, keep them loose, and wear a gaiter to keep snow out of the loose tops.

TCD

When I've done this, I've used hiking boots on the way up, and switched into an old pair of rear entry alpine boots that I keep for this purpose. I just hate walking any distance in alpine boots. And even when cold, the rear entry boots are always easy to get on.

Try walking uphill at a ski area in your alpine boots the next time you're there. I think you'll probably be quickly discouraged from an extended trip. Tele and mountaineering boots are a different story, being both lighter and more flexible. I'd go with hiking boots and switch at the top. Put a couple of boot warmers in the boots on the way up, they'll stay warm enough to put on and ski.

-dave-

Quietman said:
I just hate walking any distance in alpine boots.
Ditto.

Quietman said:
...an old pair of rear entry alpine boots that I keep for this purpose... And even when cold, the rear entry boots are always easy to get on.
But your ski technique will surely suffer!! ;) The best thing that ever happened to my skiing was getting rid of rear-entry boots!

David Metsky said:
Put a couple of boot warmers in the boots on the way up, they'll stay warm enough to put on and ski.
Nice!! :) And stuff a dry pair of socks in the top.

Thanks everybody. I guess I am leaning towards wearing hiking boots with the ski boots in the backpack with chemical warming elements in them to keep them warm.

Yan said:
Thanks everybody. I guess I am leaning towards wearing hiking boots with the ski boots in the backpack with chemical warming elements in them to keep them warm.

Only one ANSWER :cool: ! You'll love yourself for loosing the weight.

Other suggestions

If you want to keep your liners warm you can remove them from the plastic shell and carry them inside your shell and fleece as you hike up. Even with the chemical warmers you may want to remove the liners and put them in the pack interior. Even better - fill your nalgene bottles with hot water and put them in the boot liners. This will keep your water from freezing and keep your boots warm and toasty!

Latest posts