South Beyond 6000

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey J

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
The diversion in the hiking solo thread prompted me to post this one. Its surprising that no one on this board or anywhere else I've been seems to talk about this list. Granted it's not in New England or even the northeast but it's not that far away on the Tennessee/North Carolina border and it represents the highest peaks east of the Mississippi.

Although I'm pretty close, I probably won't be working on it for several reasons. It's close to me as the crow flies but all the summits are on the other side of the range so not really as close as they seem at first glance. Anyway, I've highpointed Mt Mitchell and Clingman's Dome but have not climbed them. I've done a few 5000 footers in this area and its really spectacular. So if you're looking for a new list and you want to stay in the eastern US, consider the "Southern Sixers" as they are sometimes called. There are several versions of the list but 40 peaks seems to be the most widely accepted number.

http://www.carolinamountainclub.org/index.cfm/do/pages.view/id/23/page/South-Beyond-6000

I started reading the SB6K web page and came across this gem:

Q. What are some good techniques to use in ascending the trailless summits?

A. It's easy to get disoriented coming down from the top, so flag on the way up, remove your flagging as you come down.

:eek:

I guess every region is different! :rolleyes:

There's a better than good chance this could wind up as a project of mine a few years down the road. Got Denali in June to hopefully finish off the State Highpoints and still gotta get around to tackling the Maine 6-pack to finish the NEHH, but after that ...

I've thought about the Southern Sixers for years, love it down there and already have Ron Tagliapietra's guidebook "The Southern Sixers."

If I ever take on another list project, this will almost certainly be it.

Last edited:
Yes, I noticed that too and I was very surprised by that statement. I went to several different sites promoting the SB6K before linking the 2 that I did. At least one other site called them out on this and contradicted it citing LNT principles so you're not the only to note this. I expect most bushwhackers will be appalled by that recommendation. Maybe its from the Hansel and Gretel school of hiking. I just wanted to raise awareness about this concentration of high eastern peaks for those seeking a new challenge.

This was supposed to be a response to Tom's post.

Last edited:
I picked up the book years ago. Did Mitchell without a camera so I have a Mitchell coffee cup. Don't get there as much, have been either for work or a wedding. Just a few done, Mitchell, Craig, LeConte, Kephart, Collins and Clingman's. Hiking from Newfound Gap I'd think up here wouldn't count. Imagine a 5000+ foot trailhead. (okay so some of the CO peaks start above 10 but the air is thinner)

Imagine a 5000+ foot trailhead. (okay so some of the CO peaks start above 10 but the air is thinner)
Actually there are paved roads to some of the CO summits! :D We did Sherman from 12,100', and 2 others from 11,000'.

They do have a 'soft rule' that you do at least 3K of elevation gain for it to formally count, so the drive up and the 12K trailheads would not be acceptable. But not everyone follows that rule.