Status of Mt Whitney Trail - Update

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Rooney

Reaction score
Last week we (the Eastern Sierra) had what is known in SoCal as a "monsoonal airflow", meaning that warm, moist ocean air moved up from the south. This can - and did - spark some torrential downpours. Some of these storm cells became stationary, meaning they dumped huge amounts of rain in a relatively small area while a few miles away it remained perfectly dry.

One of these cells parked itself over/near Mt Whitney, and the resultant damage flooded the Whitney Portal area, including the campground, blocked the road for a time, and stranded hikers overnight. Mostly the damage has been fixed. However, there is still a minor impediment on the Main Trail itself just below Lone Pine Lake. For those familiar with the trail, you recall there is a series of large logs which allow you to cross this stream. It's not a fast flowing stream, but in places it's a foot or more deep.

So, if you're hiking the Main Trail (or MWMT as it's often referred to) be prepared. Doug Thompson (owner of the Portal Store) suggested bringing a couple of trash bags and wrapping them around your legs to cover 18" or more.

The only people on VFTT which I'm aware of that will be affected by this are MEB and MtDrew as they're doing the JMT and will be exiting on the MWMT. There may be others.

There's an article about it here.

Hopefully the storms doused the Lion fire. The smoke from that was wicked around Whitney.

Kevin,

Thanks for the post. I am planning on joining some friends who are hiking the entire JMT north to south this month. They are on the trail as I write this. I join them (and I am their resupply officer as well) an Onion Valley, and will be doing the last segments with them, exiting at Whitney portal.

I have talked to a shuttle operator out there, have not heard of any major issues, but is Onion Valley effected from your experience ? My group camps there the first night I meet them. ( I have been warned the bears are very smart there and know how to break into cars hence will have yellow-yellow proof bear canisters)

I am planning an acclimatization hike hike out of Onion Valley on the day before I meet my group (still 2 weeks out). Are you familiar with Mt Gould or University peak ? Any recommendations ? I have read several trip reports on line found with google. The tip top of Gould looks hairy, I could not find a picture of someone climbing it to see if the crux is something I am likely to chicken out on or not. University looks shorter, but more vertical and more route finding.

Background: I am an experienced hiker both in the east and out west and (done a half dozen CO 13ers & 14ers, been to Rainier Crater Rim, Iztaccihuatl summit ridge, and done 2 high altitude treks in the Himalayan region ), point being I have altitude experience as well. Sea level fitness should not be an issue.

Craig -

The Lion Fire is considered 65% contained. I have seen smoke everyday for the past several weeks, today included. The current Inciweb:

Recent rain did slow fire growth, but fire remains active along southern flank. On August 4th firefighters burned out 75 acres along Table Meadow Creek to secure the fire line. Had three spot fires, the largest was 3/4 acre. All were contained by fire line and water drops from the helicopters.

jrbren -

I'm headed up to Onion Valley tomorrow for a dayhike to Kearsage Pass. Don't know if I'll continue up to Gould or not - will depend how I feel. That last 1000' or so is rocky, but not too bad - just take your time. Whether you feel the need to do the last tricky bit is up to you.

I'll try to post again either tomorrow nite or Sunday. If I have a senior moment/brain cramp and forget to - just send me a PM.

And yes - the bears at the campground are crafty critters. If you put your pack or cooler on a picnic table and turn your back on it - they're known to be lurking in the weeds and may rush out and grab it! Not a sure thing of course, but keep an eye out for them.

Hey, what are you going to do? They were here first, and we're in their backyard.

jrbren -

I hiked up to Kearsarge Pass today from Onion Valley. Got a late start so had a sandwich at the Pass and visited with people. It's a busy place - saw more people today than on Whitney, caused in large part by a rush of PCT hikers who waited for the passes to open up and the rivers to recede, and are now trying to catch-up. Haven't spent too much time in the Sierra this summer so the eye-candy was much appreciated.

The smoke from the Lion Fire was especially visible in the morning - the town of Independence and the Inyos on the other side of Owens Valley was quite blurry. Better visibility due west. The smell wasn't too bad, and didn't feel my lungs were compromised. The wind shifted mid-afternoon and it got better.

I don't think you'll have any problems at Onion Valley. Trail's in good shape - evidence of a small avalanche last winter, but has been cleared.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Kevin. Any issues with bugs ? I chatted with my friend briefly on Friday who said bring a head net as the mosquitoes are really bad in the northern sections of the JMT. I am hoping that it will be 2nd half of Aug by the time I am there and higher elevation in the southern JMT that the bug season will be all but gone (but will bring deet in any case, prefer not to by a head net, never wore one before).

I can't really comment on the mosquitoes other than to say that where's there's water in the Sierra there are mosquitoes. They usually don't wander far from the streams. So, if someone told me to bring DEET and a headnet, I'd probably follow their advice. A headnet weights virtually nothing. It doesn't keep them away any better than DEET, but it does prevent you from inhaling them.

The only mosquito I saw yesterday was at the TH when I was taking off my boots and enjoying an adult beverage. One nailed me on the ankle.

It would be helpful to know why mosquitoes gather in some areas and not others. Last year's weeklong trip to the Eastern Sierras included several hikes in Yosemite. Gaylor Lakes didn't have a single mosquito, while Cathedral Lakes had more of the winged avengers than we see around here in a whole month. Where it was particularly windy, they would simply land on our leeward side.

Good question, Audrey - and I don't have any answers.

While on the topic of mosquitos - personally, I find the variety of mosquito found in the Sierra and the one in the salt marshes of Maine cause me the biggest, most itchy welts.

Also - I learned 3 years ago that you aren't immediately "allergic" to a mosquito your body hasn't seen before. 3 summers ago I spent about 2 months living in the woods of the Oregon Cascades, and during two periods each day they were particularly abundant - as dense as when walking thru the Pemi during early summer - and I inhaled them frequently. For nearly 3 weeks the bites weren't particularly itchy, and I thought maybe they were a "mild" variety. Then, within a day or so - POW! they itched like crazy. I realized it had taken that long for my body to create antibodies to that mosquito's saliva. Fortunately, by that time it was near the end of mosquito season in that part of Oregon.

Generally, someone who has a true allergy gets a much worse reaction than an itchy bump.
Over the years, I stopped reacting to the bites but since my leukemia diagnosis and subsequent stem cell transplant, I'm reacting like I used to, darn it. I imagine my new immune system must build up again. The doctor tells me there's evidence that the some of stem cell donor's immunities are transferred to the recipient, but this hasn't been studied much and obviously doesn't apply to skeeters. At least I didn't develop a true allergy!

Interestingly, my black fly bites this year haven't itched at all...?

While on the topic of mosquitos - personally, I find the variety of mosquito found in the Sierra and the one in the salt marshes of Maine cause me the biggest, most itchy welts.
There are a number of species that will bite humans. The different species may have different ranges and different favorite times of activity (shift work :) ). And you may react differently to the different species.

Also - I learned 3 years ago that you aren't immediately "allergic" to a mosquito your body hasn't seen before. 3 summers ago I spent about 2 months living in the woods of the Oregon Cascades, and during two periods each day they were particularly abundant - as dense as when walking thru the Pemi during early summer - and I inhaled them frequently. For nearly 3 weeks the bites weren't particularly itchy, and I thought maybe they were a "mild" variety. Then, within a day or so - POW! they itched like crazy. I realized it had taken that long for my body to create antibodies to that mosquito's saliva. Fortunately, by that time it was near the end of mosquito season in that part of Oregon.
All allergies require one or more exposures before developing the sensitivity.

Not scratching is one of the best "treatments" for mosquito bites...

Doug

...Not scratching is one of the best "treatments" for mosquito bites...

Doug

And using that little white tube that smells strongly of ammonia (can't remember the brand name) works even better ...

And using that little white tube that smells strongly of ammonia (can't remember the brand name) works even better ...
Aromatic spirits of ammonia (a clear liquid, also known as "smelling salts") also works very well for reducing the swelling and itch. The ammonia (water solution=ammonium hydroxide) neutralizes the formic acid (an irritant) injected by the mosquito.

An old family remedy...

Unfortunately, aromatic spirits of ammonia don't seem to be carried by drug stores these days. (I still have some.) I guess that not enough women get the vapors anymore...

Doug

Last edited:
Kevin, I think you're thinking of: After-Bite.
It looks like there are two versions of After Bite (or AfterBite). The one listed as "Adventure Medical Kits After Bite" is ammonia based, the other two are based upon sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)--another acid neutralizer. http://www.rei.com/search?query=after+bite&button.x=0&button.y=0

I have (positive) experience with ammonia but have never tried a sodium bicarbonate based preparation.

Doug

It looks like there are two versions of After Bite (or AfterBite). The one listed as "Adventure Medical Kits After Bite" is ammonia based, the other two are based upon sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)--another acid neutralizer. http://www.rei.com/search?query=after+bite&button.x=0&button.y=0

I have (positive) experience with ammonia but have never tried a sodium bicarbonate based preparation.

Doug

Same here only used the ammonia based. I've found it to be most effective if applied as soon as possible after being chomped upon.

Agreed. But it still helps even after a delay.

Doug

No arguement there. Better than having none at all either which way. Definite thread drift going on here. Any updates on the trail?