Sterling Forest - 4/15/6

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Laurie and I are planning to go to Sterling Forest and climb up to the Fire tower that's SW of Sterling Lake.

Here is a mapquest link (zoom in once):

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...gg0R9ehz2MaldHJhO2NyYVDv37DXJMA==&ambiguity=1

We can either start off of 17A near Greenwood Lake, or off of Long Meadow Road, in Lakeville. Here is a topozone link that (with a little fiddling) shows the trail from the east:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=41.19722&lon=-74.26083

It looks like about a 4 mile round trip either way. If we have 2+ cars, we could make it a thru hike.

Any interest ?

Tom, with my sickness (I have a cold) I couldn't do the work on my basement that I wanted to after work and I have a 1/2 day free on saturday before I have easter commitments. I don't think you're planning for an early start are you?

There is a parking on the left on Long Meadow Road past the IBM there that is the easy approach to the firetower. (Is it manned yet? it's not really fire season even though it's been dry).

The walk up to the firetower from there is easy, it's also a nice place to X-C ski there, despite the signs.

There are some nice places in Sterling Forest for hiking, like the northern part of the Highland's trail between the border and Monksville Reservoir. Indian Hill loop is a nice hike to see an Iron Furnace, lots of old stone walls.

Sterling Forest is also overrun with ATVrs and is a prime hunting spot during hunting season. Fishermen and duck hunters habit the Blue Lake there too..

Jay

Jay H said:
Tom, with my sickness (I have a cold) I couldn't do the work on my basement that I wanted to after work and I have a 1/2 day free on saturday before I have easter commitments. I don't think you're planning for an early start are you?

How early is early? :D

Is 9:00 AM ok?

ahh, what the heck, painting can wait.

I can easily meet you at 9am. Do you want to leave from the small parking lot on the left (south side) right on Long Meadow Road?

Jay

Jay H said:
ahh, what the heck, painting can wait.

I can easily meet you at 9am. Do you want to leave from the small parking lot on the left (south side) right on Long Meadow Road?

Jay

Either parking area is fine with me. If you want, we can make this a thru hike, by spotting cars. In that case, we will meet at 8:30, leave a car at either end, drive in 1 car to the other end, do the hike, and then go fetch the other car.

Yeah, that sounds good. I've hiked out to the lake before but it's been awhile.

I don't care which direction we hike but the hike from the parking that I mentioned on Long Meadow is basically a woods road walk up, it is actually the path the ranger takes to drive up.

jay

Jay H said:
Yeah, that sounds good. I've hiked out to the lake before but it's been awhile.

I don't care which direction we hike but the hike from the parking that I mentioned on Long Meadow is basically a woods road walk up, it is actually the path the ranger takes to drive up.

jay

I wasn't planing to go to the lake, but we can.

My plan was to meet here at the Long Meadow Road side at 8:30 (see '+' sign) :

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4560283&e=562083&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

and then drive 1 car over to the 17A side and hike back to the other car from there.

Sound good?

Hi guys, this place sounds nice and isn't to far away...u thinjk it's a nice place for kids?...maybe i can bring a few? ..let me know..

Coldfeet, this would be a perfect kids hike, it's not a long hike, it's an easy walk and it should be fun if it's nice....

I can give you directions from the NYS Thruway if you are going to come...

Jay