Stillwater Mountain fire tower

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First "mountain" I climbed back in 1959 or 1960... just 5 or 6 miles from our Big Moose cabin via the recently open-to-the-public dirt road connecting Big Moose and Stillwater. Went up with my Dad and two brothers... the tower was still manned by a crusty old Adirondacker who was happy to have some company... showed us his smoke-spotting techniques and all... I recall looking out over a vast sea of undulating green and the wide blue waters of the nearby reservoir. Nice that the tower will become accessible again.

First "mountain" I climbed back in 1959 or 1960... just 5 or 6 miles from our Big Moose cabin via the recently open-to-the-public dirt road connecting Big Moose and Stillwater. Went up with my Dad and two brothers... the tower was still manned by a crusty old Adirondacker who was happy to have some company... showed us his smoke-spotting techniques and all... I recall looking out over a vast sea of undulating green and the wide blue waters of the nearby reservoir. Nice that the tower will become accessible again.

Glad that the article about the tower brought back some pleasant memories. Perhaps new ones are in the offinig.