Stuck in the Whites 7/11-7/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
See Barnes thread

Well, since I'm stuck up here, might as well hike more...

Sunday's weather looks OK, chance of showers in the morning and a low 30% chance of tstorms in the afternoon... Thinking. Goose Eye since I'll be camped at Barnes field, just hope my rental car will make it up Success Pond Road...

Monday, thinking 19 Mile Brook to Wildcat A (the 7/10ths climb from the trail junction looks mighty steep) to the Carters (all of them) then down the Imp Trail and a bushwack down Cowboy Brook to Dodge camp or if I can cross the brook, straight to 19 mile Brook to complete the loop.

Tuesday..???? Maybe some other short peak so I can be back in time to see if my Subaru is ready...

Anybody up here then??

Email/pm, as my phone is dead, hopefully I'l still online..

Found some free Wifi spots in Gorham, I may or may not be online then after today and before tuesday..

Jay

Last edited:
Goose Eye, check! Drove the 8.1 miles up Success Pond Road to the trailhead and hiked up Goose Eye, the flat spots were real wet from yesterday's rain and the grass is quite bushy down low, gaiters would of been nice but after the border crossing, you gain elevation. I was also the first one up so I had to take a stick to clear the spider webs. Anyway, got to the summit, awesome undercast and great great great great views.. Love it. Nicest sub-4k peak in the Whites so far, better than the Horn, IMO. Could make out the Old Speck firetower and Sunday River ski basin... Success Pond, mt Carlo, Mt Success, etc. Beautiful...

Back down,after stopping at Wally World for supplies, stopped down by Pinkham notch to snatch some Wifi from a picnic table outside Joe Dodge Lodge.

Tomorrow, the Carters and Wildcat A...

Jay

I agree that Goose Eye has some of the best views around, love that peak!
;)

Goose Eye is awesome!
Thanks for the beta on Success Pond Rd -- I was hoping to hike Mt Success -> Notch next saturday -- guess that won't happen! Glad we didn't make a wasted trip out there.

Go before 7:30 :) Might be cool to watch the rally folks from Success!

Wildcat A, Carter Dome, South Carter, Middle Carter CHECK!!

I am now one peak away from my 115/48.. Woot!

Jay

Today, I cleared out of Barnes field and did Lowe's Bald Spot and that loop with Brad's Bluff and Lila's ledge, which has nice views looking at wildcat ski area and the pinkham notch area...

Car's parts are in so hopefully my car will be fixed around 3pm and I'll be home late tonight to see and take care of my cats... I miss my cats!!!

Jay

As an addendum, I am now home and at work... Got the parts yesterday and Subaru had me out the door around 3pm. A drive down Rt 16 all the way to Portsmouth and I-95, a stop for gas and a quick dinner, I was home by 10pm... and at work today...

Ahhhhhh, cats were good, they knocked over the food bin (probably trying to get at the food) so no food was out but there was a little bit of water left in the water bin so that is good. The litter box overfloweth but it was all contained... I have such good cats!

jay

Latest posts