Suggestions for Southern Adirondacks this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HapyHkngSmile

Reaction score
Suggestions for Southern High Peaks in the ADKs this weekend

:cool: :D :D :D Hello all!!!

I need information. I am looking to do a classic hike in the dacks this weekend. I am severly LONG overdue for a nice backpack adventure. I have from Sunday morning to Monday (have to head home - 4 hr drive Monday night)...

We are staying in Newcomb for a family reunion and I would love nothing more than to break away for a nice backpacking adventure :) I was thinking of Santanoni - since it is close to Newcomb (Southern Dacks)...Anyone have any suggestions - classic -

Last edited:
How about a section of the Northville-Placid Trail? Many options available for dayhikes or backpacking trips.

Last edited:
Depends on how long of a hike you are interested in. A nice moderate hike is Mt. adams from the Allen parking lot. It is one of my favorites and does not take all day. It is a 1800 foot climb with a vantastic views from the tower. A nice family hike would be Goodnow. About 1000 foot climb that is very gradual. Again, great views from the tower. I just did MArshall from Upper works last saturday. About a 8-9 hours round trip. If you dont want to climb you could hike to flowed lands for lunch and continue on to lake colden.

Depends if you want to climb or stay low...

If you want to climb, Santanoni would provide a good adventure. As would Marshall, Redfield, Skylight, etc... from Upper Works.

If you want to stay low, Duck Hole and possibly the Cold River Valley would be nice. How about a loop in at Upper Works, past Hanging Spear Falls and out at the Mt Adams trailhead. Or how about Camp Santanoni and Moose Pond ?

Indian Pass would be another option.

I've always been intrigued by what is known as the "toothbrush loop" starting at Upper Works (Tahawus).

The itinterary takes you from UW to Heart Lake and Adirondack Loj for an overnight stay. (Thus, the "toothbrush" label, since that's all you need in the way of special overnight gear). Then return to UW the next day.

Route would go up Calamity Brook Trail to Flowed Lands to Lake Colden to Avalanche Pass to Marcy Dam to the Loj (11-12 mi). Return would be via Indian Pass (10.5 mi). Or you could do it the other way around.

G.

West Canada Wilderness loop via cedar lakes. Easy loop, great views, lots of lakes and loons.

rdl said:
Depends if you want to climb or stay low...

If you want to climb, Santanoni would provide a good adventure. As would Marshall, Redfield, Skylight, etc... from Upper Works.

The winner is Santanoni... I would like something challenging yet classic in ther area. Like I said - it has been way too long... Going to pick up some Mountainhouse food tonight and head on up to the daks... Seems the weather is holding at a pretty mild temp :) Should make for an enjoyable climb on Sunday/Monday...

Any one have any suggestions or reports on Santanoni?

Thanks again!!!!

HapyHkngSmile said:
The winner is Santanoni... I would like something challenging yet classic in ther area.
Any one have any suggestions or reports on Santanoni?

Thanks again!!!!
Sounds to me like you want to do Couch, Panther and Santanoni from the Santanoni trailhead. It's the classic loop and is plenty challenging. Now you can hike directly down off of Santanoni on the hitherto clandestine trail which begins its descent after about 5 minutes of backtracking on the herd trail from the summit. That will save you having to backtrack off of Santanoni all the way to Times Square and going down Panther Brook.

Plan your water well.

Grumpy said:
I've always been intrigued by what is known as the "toothbrush loop" starting at Upper Works (Tahawus).

The itinterary takes you from UW to Heart Lake and Adirondack Loj for an overnight stay. (Thus, the "toothbrush" label, since that's all you need in the way of special overnight gear). Then return to UW the next day.

Route would go up Calamity Brook Trail to Flowed Lands to Lake Colden to Avalanche Pass to Marcy Dam to the Loj (11-12 mi). Return would be via Indian Pass (10.5 mi). Or you could do it the other way around.

G.

Just an FYI to anyone who might be reading this thread. There is a bridge out about 3 miles N of Upper works on the Indian Pass Trail. The bridge is passable, but you have to cross a single large-diameter log with about a 15 (5m) foot drop into a rushing brook. You can probably hug the log and get across, but those who are unsure may reconsider.

-percious

Neil said:
Sounds to me like you want to do Couch, Panther and Santanoni from the Santanoni trailhead.

Thanks Neil, I am at work and don't have my map in front of me :) Approx how long is that hike? We plan to backpack about 4-5 miles in to camp and start wicked early Monday for summit days...

Oooo - One more question...have you heard anything on Couch's conditions? I heard that it could be a mess up there in the mud. :eek:

Latest posts