Survival stories New TV show

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HockeyPuck

Reaction score
I saw a preview for a new show on Discovery called "I shouldn't be alive".

A Quote from the discovery site
I SHOULDN'T BE ALIVE pushes the limits as survivors of death-defying ordeals relive their experiences at the edge of human endurance — and the moment of truth that kept them alive.

The series examines our most basic instincts while revealing amazing intricacies and profound depths of the human condition. Each one-hour episode explores the very best true stories of survival, focusing on the moral dilemmas, crucial moments, chance events and life-or-death decisions of the survivors. Viewers will feel the power and magnitude of those decisions, and be moved to ask themselves, "What would I have done to survive?"

Some feats of survival come from the world of professional adventurers and extreme sports — men and women who deliberately invite danger — while others find ordinary people caught in terrible ordeals fighting for their lives. But at the heart of each episode, an agonizing moment reveals key choices that must be made to allow the survivors to cheat death and live to tell their story.

The premise sounds intriguing and similar to "touching the Void" or "survive" (Peter Deleo) and could offer some assisance to lost hikers.

I wish there was a good, normal hiking/mountaineering show.
Who wouldn't want to see Pete Hickey biking across the border on his way to the ADK's or any number of other things that this crowd accomplishes daily with no fanfare ?
These "I survived" shows don't do much for me I guess.

I've seen several

They are far and few, but I've seen several documentary type movies/shows where some guy/girl/s where hiking, backpacking, mountainairing, or climbing.

Here is something interesting, but I'll try and find more.

LINK

Last edited:
Chip said:
I wish there was a good, normal hiking/mountaineering show. ..... These "I survived" shows don't do much for me I guess.

I couldn't agree more. Remember "Trailside" on PBS?? Now THAT was a great show. "Let's gear up and do it!"

denton fabrics

I saw the episode, thought it was entertaining. It's good coffee break talk anyway!

As far as a hiking show, unless it's on perhaps a weekday night, how successful can it be, we're all hiking/biking/kayaking, etc on the weekends. And then on weekday nights, they compete with primetime...

Jay

There used to be a series called "The Great Outdoorsman" on The Outdoor Channel. It took place mostly in Ontario and Quebec. It always had alot of useful information. Also on The Outdoor Channel was a show called "Backpacker". What ever happened to these shows?

Anybody see Friday's show on the Amazon? I watched a PVR'ed episode last night after returning from the catskills..

A group of 4 getting lost in the rainforest in the Amazon. Thought it was fairly interesting... Can't imagine getting chewed up by leaf cutter ants :eek: Kind of amazing how lucky the two that did survive, not knowing how accurate the reenactment was but when the Kevin and the guy in the aluminum skiff turned around and then saw the Israeli Yosshi(?) on the shore, that was amazine. Imagine if they turned around just a bit downstream or if Yosshi didn't make it to the shore after getting swept inland from the flood...

Jay

I watched the Amazon episode and one about a sailboat sinking and the survivors drifting in a raft in shark-infested waters off the Carolinas. It was rather overacted, but hair-raising nevertheless. The narration by the principals was quite good.

For you Sea Kayakers out there, I found this on P.net:

This is for this Friday (Nov 25th), supposedly.

SWEPT AWAY
The Survivors: Saul Kinderis and Larry Kaiser
The Dilemma: In the worst of circumstances, do you leave your best friend behind?
Two best friends set off in seagoing kayaks to tour Washington State's San Juan Islands. One does not admit that he's a complete novice kayaker. Having originally met on the athletics track in school, the friendly competition that brought them together now leads them toward disaster. As night approaches, they fall victim to stormy conditions and surging currents. The novice is making no headway at all, and will soon be sucked out into the Pacific. The more experienced kayaker decides to leave his struggling friend and paddle on alone. Has he gone to get help ... or is he saving his own skin?