Tahoe Advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audrey

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
We'll be in Tahoe City next week - planning a few days at the resorts and a few days of backcountry. :D We're right next to Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows, and I've got Marcus Libkind's two backcountry ski routes books (they were published years ago but I hope the routes are still all open). Any advice would be appreciated: places to eat, best alpine areas, favorite ski routes, good websites for info...?

I was at Kirkwood some years ago and did some skiing on both sides of Carson Pass, but that's all I know.

There's a nice ridgetop traverse from the top of Donner Pass south to Squaw. It goes over the top of the Sugar Bowl ski area, then past a hut, around Tinker's Knob, and eventually drops down to the ski area. Not an easy trip, but extremely rewarding. You'll probably want avy gear for it, though.

-dave-

Last edited:
The best in-bounds is probably Squaw and Alpine Meadows, but don't forget about Mount Rose, either, on the other side of Incline Village. I'm not so familiar with North Tahoe backcountry; I've just stuck to the South Shore/Mt. Tallac area.

If you're willing to spend a little coin, Graham's is a fantastic restaurant, just about a mile east (downhill) of the village area at Squaw. Small, cozy restaurant with superb service and food, and a big roaring fireplace. The names of the other places in Tahoe City and Truckee escape me right now. Sorry!

The decent From Juda Peak at Sugar Bowl into Donner Pass is a classic. Many variations.And don't miss the Hobbit Land at Homewood.

Last edited:
If your heading to the BC check out the beta at the retail shop:

The Back Country
11400 Donner Pass Rd.
Donner Center
Truckee, CA 96146
USA

Tell them you ablity and they will help you out.

For lift skiing my wife and I ski yearly at Squaw and only been to Homewood
once. Squaw, for me, is off the charts skiing. Thought it cost more then others. As for Homewood, damn good skiing for a damn cheap lift ticket. Unbelievable view of the Lake on the way down the front. Bottom line, good skiing all over. Resturants and gas are pricey, hey it Ca. (mostly).

Hi Audrey,

I had asked questions about Lake Tahoe back in 2004 and received some good info.
Check out *THIS THREAD.*

We ended up having an awesome time, and are hoping to get back there either this year or 2007.

Have a great time!

Rob

PS - Was nice to meet you, Pat, LittleBear, and Max on the Old Bridle Path last October. Looking forward to hiking with you all someday.

Dave, a couple of summers ago I ran the route you suggested--Donner Pass to Squaw Valley on the PCT. It was a beauty. :)

Audrey, in the plaza behind the Truckee backcountry shop that DaveSunRa mentioned, there's a very good Mexican restaurant. Can't remember the name. It looks like a hole in the wall, but the food is great. A few doors down in the same plaza is a wonderful bakery. Mmmm!

bubba said:
Audrey, you can't go and miss this:
FUN TIME!! You could pay for the trip!!

Funny you should post that, my wife actually won about $200 at Harrah's. Me, well, let's just say that I didn't do as well. :p

Homewood!

Audrey,

I used to work there as a ski school supervisor, I hate to admit it was 20 yrs ago. We used to hike out back towards Ellis peak and ski back to Homewood. The ski area has since bought the area next door and it's quite larger than when I lived there. Just make sure to tell/ ask patrol if it's ok to venture out of bounds, they don't want any recovery missions. Here's a link to Homewood topo

It's been so long I wouldn't know if the same bars and restaurants are still there. Squaw is amazing, Alpine Meadows has some awsome skiing too. Homewood can't be beat for the view and cost.

enjoy Tahoe.

Went to Tahoe last April for a few days. We skiied Squaw and Alpine Meadows. Alpine Meadows is definitely smaller and has less of the tourist/destination/resort atmosphere. Excellent skiing though, many wonderful bowls. Squaw really is huge, interesting site to ascend on the tram then see the pool and hot tubs high up the mountain.

On our backcountry day we skinned up Mount Tallac, unfortunately on an overcast day. Carved some glorious turns coming down.

Bob