The Alps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's worth seeing, but probably not as a "stand alone" event. I'd recommend some eating and/or drinking before and/or after. A few of us saw it down here as part of a kayak/food/movie day.

I agree with Dave - VFTT movie night!

Here are some dates and times that work for me - what date works best for everyone interested?

Tuesday March 11th, 7pm
Wednesday March 12th, 7pm

Tuesday March 18th, 7pm
Wednesday March 19th, 7pm
Thursday March 20th, 7pm

Tuesday March 25th, 7pm
Wednesday March 26th, 7pm
Thursday March 27th, 7pm

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a food/drink location near the Museum of Science for meeting up either before and/or after?

-katie

dinner and a movie

For what it was, I enjoyed the movie thoroughly. Clearly, filming was expensive and as a result, the movie is short, and the one gripe I have is that the climbing scenes are scant. I would have enjoyed to see a lot more actually climbing in it, since this was a great chance for them to get people interested in the sport.

The movie is short, and I suggest if you go that you try to make an evening of it by hitting a place for dinner first. The closest (and most fattening) is the Cheesecake Factory, which is an easy walk to the museum.

bunchberry said:
I agree with Dave - VFTT movie night!

Here are some dates and times that work for me - what date works best for everyone interested?

Tuesday March 11th, 7pm
Wednesday March 12th, 7pm

Tuesday March 18th, 7pm
Wednesday March 19th, 7pm
Thursday March 20th, 7pm

Tuesday March 25th, 7pm
Wednesday March 26th, 7pm
Thursday March 27th, 7pm

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a food/drink location near the Museum of Science for meeting up either before and/or after?

-katie

North End-Regina's Pizza

It is an IMAX film... In my limited experience, every IMAX film I've seen have been around 40 minutes top, so don't expect a Lord of the Rings... :D

Also, if you are very intrigued by the Eiger, highly recommend reading "The White Spider" by Heinrich Harrer (who also wrote "Seven Years in Tibet"). And if you liked the IMAX film, there is a companion book to the movie that probably has more background of Harlin's father's climb of the North Face of the Eiger, which was the John Harlin route or the "Eiger Direct"

Jay

Last edited:
Saw it last Friday. There are some absolutely stunning visuals, which are only made better by the Omni's curved 180° screen. I was blown away by two particular scenes; however, I won't give it away by saying what they were. :)

There are a few "educational" moments but you'll survive them. The only thing I'll say is that it probably should have been called "The Eiger" not "The Alps".

Last edited: