The bears are out and about

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxi

Reaction score
The bears are definitely out and about. One just walked behind my condo. I watched him from my livingroom window at 5:55 am in Bethlehem.

Had a momma and 3 cubs in the front yard last week. And just last night, as I was watering tomato plants in the backyard, a huge bear (male I think, and no cubs), came around from the front yard and we were just about 20 feet apart. Startled me big-time, but I just stood still, and he stopped and stared at me for about 3 seconds (seemed longer! :eek: ) then ambled off into the woods behind our home. Last year, we saw only 2 bears total in our yard, and I've already seen them on 4 different occasions this year.

Also wanted to mention that the poor bear I saw last night seemed to have an injury of some sort to his right eye. Or maybe an infection. The area all around the eye seemed to have a lot of gunk, and it was pretty much closed shut. Other than that he looked healthy.

Saw a small black bear in the back yard the other day here in Ashland, NH. My roommate's Beagle, Louise was flipping out barking and scared it away into the woods.

Only the second bear I've ever seen.

Last edited:
hikingfish said:
I think the general consensus is: What were you doing up at that ungodly hour! Sorry, I'm not a morning person :D

Fish

:D I sometimes wonder that too! My job requires that I get up at 5:30, but my cat insists that I wake up at 5:00. Unfortunately I can't reset him like I can my alarm. So by 5:55 I'm showered, dressed, and drinking coffee while looking out the window watching the bears go by....