The Great Range (and more) January 19-23

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALGonquin Bob

Reaction score
This winter, I decided to try multi-day trips in order to check off more peaks from my W-46 “to-do” list. I’m doing 3 or 4 days this weekend, which should serve as good conditioning for what follows…

I’m planning a 4 to 5 day hike over the entire Great Range (and a few more) for January 19-23. :eek: I did the Great Range from Rooster Comb to Haystack in August, and really enjoyed it. The long range forecast is for much colder temps beginning around that weekend, so this might change to a series of day hikes. :rolleyes:

As planned in my mind (where I’m young and strong) :rolleyes: is a long loop hike from the Garden. I’ll hike toward JBL, go up and do Big Slide, then continue on to make camp at Slant Rock.

Day 2 would be up and over Marcy, do Skylight & Gray, back over Marcy and toward Haystack. If I get Haystack that day, I’ll camp at Snowbird.

Day 3 would be Haystack if necessary, Basin, Saddleback, Gothics, and camp below Armstrong.

Day 4 would complete the trip with Armstrong, Upper & Lower WJ, and Rooster Comb. I’d then either camp around RC, or hike out and back up to the Garden.

Day 5 is reserved for the hike out if necessary, and the drive home. How’s that sound? :D

Anyone who wants to do any part of that trip with me is welcome. -BVH

There may be variations on this route, as well as many bail-out options. :rolleyes: I might not do Big Slide or Skylight & Gray in order to minimize the overall time spent camping up there.

So far, this is still a solo trip, though…… :eek: