The Helderbergs?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
Reading this book called "back roads of New York" and they talked about this "third mountain range" in NY. never herd of them before. They showed a picture of Indian ladder falls. It would be a couple of hours one way for me. Worth the drive?

The Indian Ladder waterfalls is in Thatcher State Park. The trails include a portion of the Long Path, a thru trail from NYC to the Mohawk River which will eventually join the Northville - Lake Placid Trail. The park is good for family picnics, ball games, swimming pools, etc. For the most part it is not a wilderness experience on the primary trails, but it does provide some pleasant short hikes.

Rivet has posted a good trail description on the Local Hikes website. There is much good information, maps, photos on the buttons on the left. It does offer views that extend to the southern Adirondacks and Green Mountains on a clear day. There are also nice views of the city of Albany.

When I think of a "third NY mountain range" I more think of the Taconics or the Shawangunks - which provide more intensive hiking.

It's a nice place to visit if you're in the area. But not worth it for such a long drive.

The Helderbergs, specifically Thatcher Park, might not be worth the drive if you only are only looking for "mountain climbing." But, if you are interested in geology, the area is rich in fossils, has a hiking trail that traverses the lower reaches of a really interesting escarpment, and can teach you a lot about the geologic history of the area.

Pat t

Latest posts