The Link, a thru-hike proposal

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegematic

Reaction score
Okay, before you even think about posting it here, I know: you probably hate The Link. A lot. I've even hiked some of the sections you've cursed and have cursed it a few times myself. But what can I say? I find its lightly-trodden beauty a fair reward for the moss covered roots, boulders, and leg-swallowing pot holes that must be negotiated. But there are a few sections I've yet to cover and have long had it in my mind to hike The Link in its entirety, as a destination in itself.

So maybe you're a red-liner, or a trail masochist, or maybe you just always wondered what it's like to hike with a vegan. Is anyone interested in doing this sometime before the snow flies? I figure to leave a car at Appalachia, then drive over to Jeff Notch and hike it "downhill".

-vegematic

I like it. I've done a few sections and found them "interesting" and/or pleasant. I'd vote to do it in the uphill direction, though.

I've been thinking about this for years, if we leave my car at the bottom I can walk as slow as I want :)

Well, this is a better than anticipated response, and peakbagger also expressed some interest.

Bob-Why do you prefer uphill? are you thinking of the section between Castle Ridge and Castle Ravine? I thought it might be nice to get the more "interesting" sections done early but I'd not object to going uphill.

Roy-We can go as slow as you like regardless. I'll probably be taking a lot of pictures.

Do folks want to try to squeeze this in before Labor Day or wait till a little later in Sept/Oct when there will be some color?
-vegematic

I'll agree with madriver: If the timing is right, why not? I'll be in your neck of the woods near that time.

Climbing up rather than down just seems like more fun, but I'm game either way. Mid September works best for me. I'm due for a hernia operation on Sep. 23, so I won't be doing anything for a couple weeks after that, and I've already scheduled some hikes for October.

I don't have a trail map in front of me, but ... is there any way to make a huge crazy loop out of it and somehow hike the whole of it and then return up high somewhere? Off the top of my head that might be something like Link->Caps->Gulfside->VW?

I might have an interest ...

I don't have a trail map in front of me, but ... is there any way to make a huge crazy loop out of it and somehow hike the whole of it and then return up high somewhere? Off the top of my head that might be something like Link->Caps->Gulfside->VW?

I might have an interest ...

That route would certainly work. It would end up being 16+ miles for the loop.

Steve

The Link: Saturday, 19 September

My schedule is in and the 19th is my first free weekend. The timing should be good for color.

I'm still envisioning a "downhill" hike with a meet at Appalachia to drop cars at 7:30 and boots on the trail at Jeff Notch by 8:00. This puts the more rigorous hiking early in the day and could allow for exploration of some of the waterfalls near the end of the day if there's time.

I could, however, be swayed to hike it uphill, meeting at Jeff Notch at 8:00 and boots on the trail at Appalachia by 8:30. This might offer an opportunity to zip up to the first Castle or Cap for some views in the afternoon if we want.

Who's in and what is your direction of preference?
-vegematic

This just confirms to me that some of you guys just like to punish yourselves :eek: I've vowed to myself never to do this again! LOL

Good Luck:cool:

Either direction works for me. I have only a slight preference for going "uphill".

Uphill = 9 miles, 2850' elevation gain
Downhill = 9 miles, 1200' elev. gain.

Some sections of the trail (e.g. Caps to Castles) are fairly slow going, but other sections are pretty ordinary. I like the idea of a detour up to the first Castle or Cap.

19 September

I just checked NOAA and their forecast for Saturday looks clear and brisk. So far I have one person confirmed. Anyone else?
-vegematic

Sounds like this is the last chance for Pemi bridge loop, so I'll be there instead

Latest posts