The Moriahs (Gorham and Shelburne)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
I'm interested in hiking Mt Moriah (aka Gorham Moriah) via either Carter/Moriah or Stony Brook Tr, + Shelburne Moriah + Rattle River Trail. I'll have to check the mileage but I think it's around 12mi. Basically the same as Double Bow's trip report. Either direction ok by me. Requires a car-spot unless there is local livery service from Gorham. My car is still not better but I may have a friend who's interested in carpooling.

Any interest? Date uncertain; my availability in order of preference is Sun 9/11, Sat 9/10, Fri 9/9, Sat 9/24, Sun 9/25 (other weekdays possible but I'd have to take a day off) -- but since I don't have a car useful for long-distances yet, other people's schedules trump mine.

You really dont need to car spot to do the loop, the road walk isnt that bad as long as you take the swinging bridge across the peabody river. The bridge is easy to find, just head down Bangor street from the trailhead about 4 or 5 houses and look for a path on your left to the bridge. Cross the bridge, take a left on the street and follow it past the Libby pool complex (an open gravel swimiing pond) then take a left on RT 16. Its about 2 miles down the road to the Sotny Brook trailhead.

are you talking about the Moriah loop only (e.g. Carter-Moriah Tr and Stony Brook Tr)?

I'm looking at the loop being Rattle River Tr one way, and for the other direction one of the other two. Rattle River trailhead <-> Carter-Moriah trailhead looks like 3.5-4 miles. (on top of a 12-ish mile hike) Ugh.

The attractions for me are bagging Moriah for 4K's, redlining the AT and visiting the open areas west of Shelburne Moriah (+ possible "botany delays" in a few areas).

What's going on with this hike? Would entertain coming along as I was looking at doing Moriah last weekend before I fell under the weather. I know sapblatt was looking at #47 or so.
I can definitely help with spotting a car.
arghman seemed to be into "Welch's" for pre hike vittles.

Last edited:
Sapblatt and I are trying to work something out for tomorrow morning Sat 9/10. (My car is finally in at the shop today & am crossing my fingers that they can fix it) PM/email me if interested, I can't speak for him but I'd certainly welcome additional company (esp. car-spotting company :D ).