The new smokeless disel cog

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
The new smokeless diesel cog

There have been a number of threads concerning the cog railway. Some like it, some don’t, but whether you like it or not times are changing. The new smokeless diesel cog is nearing completion.
cograilway.jpg

Last edited:
Somehow

I assumed when it was first mentioned that the cog was going to start burning oil that it would be used to make steam not run a diesel engine, that they would be converting the coal boilers to oil. To me, riding up the cog powered by diesel is like being on one of those "replica" paddle wheel river boats you see with diesel fumes coming out of the tall stacks, driven by a propeller and the dummy wheel appearing to push the boat. Putting on an ersatz cover, slanted at 45 degrees of course, to make it look like a steam engine doesn't do much to add to the aura of real, live steam if the "engineer" gets in the cab, turns the key to start, shifts into Drive and steps on the accelerator. Maybe they can cut some nice CDs of steam sounds and a steam whistle to drown out the diesel clatter. What a treat it will be riding down when the train stops to turn on the Jake®* brake rather than to "reverse piston."

Is it just me or is anybody else nostalgic for real steam?

teejay

*Jake® is a registered trademark of the Jacobs Engine Brake Co.

teejay said:
Is it just me or is anybody else nostalgic for real steam?
I see what you're saying and I hope they don't make it out to be something it is not by putting fake covers on and making it look like the old thing.

But if they do, they should probably also carry buckets of coal aboard and throw it on the surrounding area to really make it like the original ;) :rolleyes:

Actually, there will be something for everybody. The new engine will be safer, cleaner, more economical and more practical. Among other things, the steam boilers have to be kept fired up day and night. On the other hand, the cog railway knows there are traditionalists out there. Not to worry, as I understand the plans, even if more diesel engines are built, they plan to keep at least one of the old steam engines going.

Ed,

Yes, I know that there are many positives for the Cog's operator by switching to diesel. I was being a bit facetious, but I'm glad to hear they will keep some operating steam stock. I wonder, though, with the obvious economic benefits, if the general public will see much of anything, like a lower price.

Just to keep this hiking related, I now ask myself and others here, to come up with a new, more derisive way for hikers to mock the Cog. "A New Moon for the New Cog". Family-oriented, ecologically friendly and in good taste, naturally. Suggestions?

teejay

I will hold off on alternative to mooning the cog, but will comment that the conversion is primarilly an economic one, they plan to have more runs per day with the diesels than they did with steam.

So once someone comes up with a alternative, hikers will have more chances to execute it :D

I asked someone who is working on the project some of your questions, this is the answer I received:

They are not trying to fool the public. It will not look like the old engine. They will probably put "runs on biodiesel" on the side for the public to feel more "green" about this concept. There are also tax credits if they use biodiesel. The steam will remain, as far as I know, but the pricing for a steam ride will probably be a premium vs. this diesel ride. Some people just want a train ride up the mountain and some want a steam experience. There is also a plan for a "steam park" for the steam fanatics to be happy.

They currently burn 1 ton of coal at $200+/ton now per trip. The diesel version will probably burn 15 gallons of fuel at off road fuel oil cost of $2.50 / gal. Big savings per day at 8-10 trips per day. Also only one engineer is needed to drive the diesel (vs qty 2 men, one at controls and the other shoveling coal). The new unit is twice as fast as the old one going up the mountain so this gives passengers more time up on the mountain.

There is an air compressor so we could probably use the same whistle. Some electric versions are available. We have not gotten that far yet.

They will have a weather station on board so they could do live reports from the train for radio / TV. They could never do this before because the noise is so loud in the cab (you could not talk on the radio or cell). There is also some talk about a night time ride up the mountain since we now generate electricity (lighting heat etc) that they did not have before.

I found his response very interesting and I thought others of you might also.