The Storms of Denali: A Novel.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
http://chronicle.com/blogs/pageview/u-of-alaska-press-under-fire-from-local-columnist/30794 The Storms of Denali: A Novel.

This is wonderful on many levels. The University of Alaska Press has just published a novel about Mt. Denali, and some blogger has caused a stink because the author is not from Alaska, nor is the P.R. firm.

What I find so fascinating in this, well, blog post, is that absolutely nothing is written about the book itself, only about the conflict.

I wonder if our little hobby has so little fiction written about it because the truth is so often stranger? But then again, it may simply be the case that there is a lot of fiction written about it, and I just don't hear of it.

Brian

p.s. Okay, I also don't know how to post a link! Someone has to teach me how to do that, and how to post pictures as well. But maybe offline.

Okay, so a new work of fiction about a climb up Denali is out The Storms of Denali, but this link is actually about the fact that some blogger is peeved that the author isn't from Alaska, even though the book is published by the University of Alaska Press.

What I find so fascinating in this, well, blog post, is that absolutely nothing is written about the book itself, only about the conflict.

I wonder if our little hobby has so little fiction written about it because the truth is so often stranger? But then again, it may simply be the case that there is a lot of fiction written about it, and I just don't hear of it.

Brian

I don't read fiction. There is way too much real life drama out there.

This complainer does not have enough to do. He needs to climb Denali and write his memoirs. I bet the work of fiction sells more copies. :D

The whiney curmudgeon is Craig Medred who many people feel is Alaska's #1 a-hole. He's a bully with a pen and ridicules nearly everyone who dies in the Alaskan wilds. He once lambasted a group of kayakers who drown in rough waters for being out of staters who were racing to catch a plane. They weren't. When Craig got mauled by a bear the Anchorage paper was flooded with letters to the editor, not wishing him well but to rub well deserved salt in his wounds.