The term Coxcomb

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
I was doing research this weekend on some climbs in CO. The guide book labeled one particular feature of a ridge as a “Coxcomb”.
It describes this mountain feature as something to be avoided by downclimbing around it.

I did a quick search and couldn’t find anything related to mountains or land features.

Has anyone heard of this term used in this context?

I'm not familiar with the term in mountaineering usage, but would assume it's perhaps it's a shorthand way of writing "cock's comb" -- that wavy thang on top of a rooster's head?

If so, it prob'ly represents an undulating ridge with repeated ups-and-downs that could be/should be avoided by coming down off the ridge proper and doing a face traverse slightly lower down.

Just a guess...

I thought it meant a ridge with lots of gendarmes (small peaks on a ridge).

The following description of Cockscomb Mountain (in Alberta) generally agrees:
Cockscomb Mountain was named in 1921 because the outline of the summit was said to resemble a roosters comb.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockscomb_Mountain_(Alberta)

Coxcomb and cockscomb seem to be alternate spellings of the word.

Doug

All reasonable assumptions except for, obviously, Leaf’s. ;)

I don’t have the guide book in front of me but I thought the author was referring to a single feature along the ridge.

Interesting.

I’ll do a little more research tonight. If I can’t find an answer I’ll email the author.
Inquiring mind want to know.

Nice find Sardog1.

This would make sense. I’ll take a closer look at it tonight. :)

The ridge is the Wilson -> El Diente ridge traverse as seen below.
I believe the section Roach describes in his book as the "Coxcomb" is labeled the "Narrow Section" in the picture. It's described as the crux of the traverse.

I have emailed Gerry Roach to try and get clarification. Inquiring minds want to know.

RMtWils_401.jpg

The Answer

The section of the ridge referred to as the coxcomb is the section labeled “narrow section” in the picture below.

RMtWils_401.jpg

The narrow section or “coxcomb” can be seen close-up in the picture below.

RMtWils_434.jpg

Below is the response I received from the author (Gerry Roach) to my query re: coxcomb.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colorado 14ers:- From Mount Wilson’s summit, descend 150 feet north to the high saddle described with Mount Wilson’s North Slopes Route (Class 4). From the high saddle, descend west down a couloir, then traverse west under the ridge crest on the south side of the Mount Wilson–El Diente Ridge. Reach the ridge crest at a 14,060-foot saddle (37.8395° -107.9931°).
From the 14,060-foot saddle, climb west on the ridge crest and traverse a narrow, exposed coxcomb (Class 3). The exposure on both sides of the coxcomb is sensational, and this is a particularly bad place to be during an electrical storm. As you approach the coxcomb’s west end, the ridge drops down to a 13,980-foot saddle. If you stay on the ridge crest, you will discover that the drop becomes abrupt. A 60-foot rappel will overcome the problem.

Gerry Roach:- Here's some differentiation:

A ridge has less than vertical sides /^\
A knife edge ridge is really sharp on top relative to the size of a human /\
A coxcomb is flatter on top, but with vertical sides |^^|
A narrow coxcomb is 2-6 feet wide |^|

It's generally hard to escape from a coxcomb.

I didn't invent the term.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting Enough