The Wonderful World of Blazing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher Cat

Reaction score
This is actually an extension of a conversation between myself and Trailwrightbratt. We have been discussing how to carry paint onto our adopted trails. I've tried various methods in the past, carrying a lot of materials and just basically making a mess of myself, and thus the rental car. This year I went to the store and they were selling these Glad containers in a group of 3. Perfect, I only needed one, so now I had a spare plus one to mutilate later if I made a mistake. The lids were the key anyway.

905444147_NYSPi-S.jpg

I filled one with the paint I would need, then took an extra lid and cut a slit in it just snug enough for the brush handle. Snug enough that it keeps the brush suspended without sinking handle deep into the paint. I then bought a small leather pouch for $4 and the the container on the right shows how nicely it fits, the other side has a belt clip. So the container on the right is for illustrative purposes only. I only need to take the container with paint, an sealed lid for it, the brush, and the spare lid with the slit for when I move between blazes, plus one big gallon size Ziploc to keep it all in. Then when I'm done, I recap with the sealed lid for the night.

I'm curious what anybody else does to transport paint. This might be one of my better ideas, but I'm open to anything new.

Learned this from a local forester: I use an old liquid dish soap bottle (Joy, for example). You can squeeze the boundary marking paint onto the brush. Usually such bottles have a slight hourglass shape to them that makes them easy to carry.

We use ketchup or some such squeeze bottles for our blazing work on the Mass. AT. I do like the slotted lid idea - someplace to keep the brush without making a mess.

Blazing

Fishercat:thanks for the pics now I see what you mean.Still think it is a good idea.When you pull the brush out it wipes the extra paint and not be as messy.How you carry is not that important, i recommeng a small bucket that holds a jar of paint,a scraper,wire brush a small tiny container for water to clean myself IF i get some on me, a couple small rags IF you happen to make a mess.I also take along a small plastic sandwich bag to put the brush in when done for the day.tightening it or a rubber band to keep it more or less air tight so when you get home it is still wet and cleans up easy to use again.
Another reason to use Latex.I do not recommend boundary marking ink.We used it several years on the bridal path and the M/S Greenway and noticed that every blaze had cracks in the bark only where the blazes were.Never had it since.Clean up is so much easier and is safer for human skin too and much safer for your eyes.
As for spray paint it is very messy to use with a template and my experience is that it flakes off quickly and does not hold up very well.I don't recommend a template it gets very messy quickly.Easy to scrape or wire brush, wipe off with a rag and paint.
It is the best way for me and many other maintainers that i have worked with over the years.Blazing with a one inch brush is slower but in the long run you can do a much better quality blaze. There are many ways of doing things none of them are wrong i just prefer this way over the others.Nice clean blazes are neat and do not look out of place unless of course you do too many.I am sure there will be other comments from other maintainers and we may all learn some thing new.

Actually, I unscrew the slotted lid and pull it off whenever I'm ready to paint. The slot is too snug and pulling a brush through it would take all the paint off the brush. When I'm done painting a blaze, I slide the slotted lid over the brush handle and spin it shut, keeping the paint well mixed and securely sealing it along the edges for hiking between blazes. When I'm done at the end of the day, the slotted lid goes in a ziploc, along with anything else paint splattered (someimes I bring a pair or two of vinyl gloves), and then put the uncut lid on for long transport back to camp or the car.

I also have had success with a 1 inch brush, but have also found the 1.5 inch brush works grea too.

I fill an 18 oz peanut butter jar of which I have a huge free supply which amazingly holds just enough paint for the section I do. I bring a second jar in case I spill some or otherwise run out but never need it. Because I start and end painting at the car (paint one way at a time for best results) I don't usually need to transport the brush wet except between blazes but I do have plastic bags, rags, water in canteen etc.

I keep the jars inside a separate sealed container while transporting, the unused paint stays in the jar between trips but when I spill too much paint on the outside the jar gets replaced.

I do need a 3rd hand for the scraper but let it dangle on a string or shove it in a pocket when not used frequently.

Blaze paint

Fellow maintainers:
Very timely discussion. Blackfly season just about over, we can move to our next tasks. Email arrangement with Barking Cat to reblaze a trail near Cardigan, now this same week. Our minds may not be great, but don't tell the trees that...
I carry gear in painter's bucket with bandanna ties around bail. Left arm goes through bandanna so bucket hangs from elbow, bandanna spreads weight so it carries comfortably. In bucket is quart can of paint, extra cups, can opener, rags, a scrub brush for taking dirt off old blazes, and wire brush for prepping rough surfaces like spruce and stone. Left hand holds doubled 12-ounce paper cups with about 8 oz paint. Right hand has 1 1/2' sash tool paintbrush, perfect for painting 2" wide blaze. Left hand can hold brush while wirebrushing surfaces.
Only kind of paint to use is latex gloss enamel. Hal's memory is good regarding problem w/ marking ink. Latex lets tree breathe, or lacks petrol distillates harmful to bark, or something, but blistered or cracked bark does not happen with latex gloss enamel (LGE).
Also, LGE is highly weather resistant. After painting blazes on Mt Cardigan for 25 years I can report:
- blazes above treeline get blasted by wind and need repainting each four years.
- blazes below treeline are more sheltered and need repainting each eight-ten years.
- interval of three years from some manuals is overkill.
LGE, being gloss, reflects very well in dim light, thus is excellent for improving hiker safety/lowering SAR incidents by making trail route very visible for hikers w/flashlights ;)
Shape and placement of blazes is another discussion. Hope I have helped.

Slainte mhath,

Creag Nan Drochaid

Lid

Yes I understand your point with the slotted lid and yes you must take the lid off to do the painting as it would be next to impossible to put the brush back into the slot.
I have the paint in a p butter jar same as Roy.They are plastic so no glass problems.In the bottom of the bucket that holds everything is a plastic coolwhip container.The paint jar sits in it and going from blaze to blaze the brush sits standing up next to the paint.I just leave it in the paint when it gets low enough.Paint does get on the bottom of the coolwhip container but when dry it does not stick to the container.I turn the container upside down and bang it on a hard surface and the paint just falls off, or if not, being Latex, it peels off easily.So all I touch is the paint handle.As stated yesterday a lot is determined by your preference.The most important thing of all is "THE TRAILS GET BLAZED."
Another thing about Latex is that even if the tree or rock is damp you can wipe the surface with a rag and it will be dry enough to paint as long as it is not raining.Plan ahead so that you have about an hour before any rain and it will dry enough to not run.I have done it many times and you can't do that with oil based paints.:cool:

I generally go the ketchup squeeze bottle route, but I do like your idea, Fisher Cat!

Yea, this is good stuff Jason! I never, ever would have thought of either peanut butter jars, or now even a ketchup squeeze bottle!

Another benefit to LGE paint

Trailwrightbratt,
thank you for the tip re: wiping the surface dry enough to take paint. Will try soon. Must blaze Firescrew-Cardigan-ranger cabin this season, also Rimrock-Alex 4 Corns. Many thanks. Creag Nan Drochaid.

Leadership.

Paradox:That is what i call good leadership.Delegate.Delegate Delegate.;)
Fishercat: What works well are the Guldens Mustard jars.They have a wide bottom and more stable if you are clumsy like me.:)

Latest posts