Things to do in Las Vegas?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
I'll be going to Las Vegas, NV in the fall with the in-laws which will occupy my wife nicely. I have no interest in the usual draws to the place (gambling, prostitution, Celine Dione, etc.) and plan to disappear and head into the hills. Does anyone have any experience with the place or favorite/interesting hikes they have taken. It looks like Mt. Whitney, CA is about 4.5 hours away.

From what I hear, if you're going to venture beyond the streets of the town square ("a quaint little New England village"), the customary thing is a handgun and targeting everything not on your person. Bring lots of ammo; try not to shoot your car-mates.

There's also a nuclear test site or two out there, if your ammo is big enough.

That's what I heard....

Paradox -
I am sure that others will provide some nice hikes close by Vegas, but I can highly recommend Zion NP, which is about 2 1/2 hours away. My wife and I went there from Vegas in October '06 and absolutely loved it.

Regards,
Marty

For some close up hiking you can head to Red Rock Canyon. I only had time for one hike- I think it was Turtlehead Peak. Nothing hard, but hot and dry with a lot of scree. Cool views all around, nice red colors.

I concur with marty. Zion Nat'l Park will be my destination when I head to Las Vegas later on this year!

We did our bike tour from Bryce to Zion by flying to Lost Wages and taking a shuttle to St. George.

Don't forget the roller coaster at NY,NY, supposed to be cool. Was going to ride it except it was down for repair when we got there so I never did... Maybe that was a good thing? :p

jay

I strongly second Red Rock Canyon. It's not that far from the strip (which is where you might very well be staying) and the place is beautiful. If you are staying at one of the hotels on the strip you should be able to get a shuttle bus to and from there. If you have a rent-a-car then it's a short drive. Bring PLENTY of water and enjoy.

Red Rock Canyon

Last edited:
Yes - the rollercoaster at NY NY is GREAT! As is the ride at the top of the Stratosphere. If you do the "Big Shot" as it is called, try to get in the seats that look out over the Strip. We did it at night and it was an amazing experience! It's been a while since I was there and I know there are a couple of other rides now at the top which look pretty insane!

As far as hiking goes - I would definitely recommend Red Rocks - there are lots of trails out there and some very interesting hiking into the canyons. Bryce Canyon and Zion NP should also be on your list. Definitely do Angel's Landing and hike up the Narrows at Zion, two incredible hikes.

LittleBear

Can't go wrong with Zion and Bryce but Death Valley is also close and spectacular.

Ah, yes, Death Valley. Another wonderful place to visit and hike. I highly recommend Corkscrew Peak (didn't quite make it to the top - need to go back and finish that one) and Wild Rose Peak. Both are quite spectacular.

Paradox - sounds like you'll need at least a month there. ;)

Hoover Dam... not hiking, but still very inspiring...

Take a trip out to the Hoover Dam. It's about an hour (little less) from the Strip, but a world away. The dam itself is an inspiring bit of Deco architecture, and the tour is well worth the time and effort. There are a couple different versions of NPS-lead tours. We took one that went all the way down inside the dam and covered the history and mechanics of it in fascinating detail.

I used to end up in Vegas for trade shows a lot, and, like you, have no interest in the usual distractions there. Any number of nights I ended up out at the dam in the moonlight. When it's quiet, the sheer grandeur and desolation of the place is really impressive.

I also understand that Boulder City has become something of a magnet for mountain bikers, though I haven't tried it myself.

How much time do you have to hike? In DV, Corkscrew is a nice dayhike as already mentioned. So is Telescope, if a bit longer.

And yes, Whitney is there. Can be done as a dayhike if you get an extra early start. Depending upon when in Sept you do it there might be a bit of snow/riming above 12K'. There are other 14-ers, too.

If possible, at least drive on US395 between Lone Pine and Big Pine. Jaw-dropping views of the Sierra. If you have 3-4 hours, visit Manzanar, about 5 miles north of Lone Pine. It was an internment camp for Japanese-Americans during WWII. Fascinating and sobering place - and no admission.

What everyone else said, all great suggestions. Keep in mind, though, if you're pressed for time (and with gas around $3.50/gallon!), you don't have to drive all the way to Zion, Death Valley or Whitney to get in some good hiking.

Just a little south of Vegas going toward Hoover Dam/Lake Mead, Bootleg Canyon in Boulder City has some nice hiking as well as mtn. biking, as Drew mentioned. I was there a few weeks ago and, while climbing Black Mtn., encountered a herd of 28 (I counted) bighorn sheep, the Vegas skyline looming in the distance -- pretty cool. :)

The Spring Mtns. (west of the city) are nice as is Red Rock Canyon, a must if you've never been there. Turtlehead Peak, a bit higher than Mt. Washington, is the must-do summit.

Mt. Charleston, almost 12,000 ft. in elevation, has some great trails!

Valley of Fire State Park isn't too far from the city and is the place to go if you're into rocks (think Joshua Tree) and petroglyphs. Fun scrambling.

Finally, don't discount Vegas. Yeah, it's disgusting on some levels, but the people watching is fun, and you can't beat a 2 1/2 foot long frozen margarita. I also admit to sort of liking the Bellagio's water show. :D

Paradox said:
I'll be going to Las Vegas, NV in the fall with the in-laws which will occupy my wife nicely. I have no interest in the usual draws to the place (gambling, prostitution, Celine Dione, etc.) and plan to disappear and head into the hills...
All things considered, I say you save the airfare, use money saved to invest in that new gear that you know you really want and stay amoung the green, cool northeastern mtns. Hot, dry, barren land... in-laws... :eek:

Paradox said:
I'll be going to Las Vegas, NV in the fall with the in-laws which will occupy my wife nicely. I have no interest in the usual draws to the place (gambling, prostitution, Celine Dione, etc.) and plan to disappear and head into the hills. Does anyone have any experience with the place or favorite/interesting hikes they have taken. It looks like Mt. Whitney, CA is about 4.5 hours away.

Make sure you take Celine Dion with you, maybe drop her off in a salt mine and then blow up the door. Thanks.
:p

Jay