Things to see around Rainier on a couple days off ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
We'll be out there the end of May/beginning of June with a day and a half off in between Mountain School and Summit attempt and another day and almost a half before we fly out. I'm looking at Mt St Helens, Olympic National Park, or any of the cities. This would probably be 2 separate day trips. Thanks for any input. Also any suggestions of bunk houses or cheap hotels around Ashford would be appreciated.

Dayhikes around Mt St Helens is pretty cool. I think it's about a 2- 2.5 hour drive from Ashland.

As far as staying, I've mentioned Whitaker's Bunkhouse to you already, conveniant because it's also next to Summit Haus, the gear rental place and store affiliated with RMI. There's also a very nice restaurant just down the road on the other side that we ate at, although I don't recall the name, hopefully somebody else chimes in here with that...

Some folks spent a day wandering around Seattle, IME, the spaceneedle.

Jay

Columbia River gorge, on the Oregon side. Several little state parks, not too much much to see beyond the Dalls. Watch the windsurfers buzz across the water at Hood River. Hood River's a neat little town, too.

Drive out to Cannon Beach, west from Portland. Go to the Ape Caves around Mt St. Helens.

Keep an eye on the snow levels. That's early in the climbing season, so there's likely to be lots above 4K' or so. Might limit where you can drive. I also read a thread where parking is very limited at Paradise due to construction. Don't want to sound like an alarmist, but you might check that out.

Last edited:
Kevin Rooney said:
Columbia River gorge, on the Oregon side. Several little state parks, not too much much to see beyond the Dalls. Watch the windsurfers buzz across the water at Hood River. Hood River's a neat little town, too.

Drive out to Cannon Beach, west from Portland. Go to the Ape Caves around Mt St. Helens.

Keep an eye on the snow levels. That's early in the climbing season, so there's likely to be lots above 4K' or so. Might limit where you can drive. I also read a thread where parking is very limited at Paradise due to construction. Don't want to sound like an alarmist, but you might check that out.

I was thinking the same thing - but thats quite a haul of a drive. At least 3 hours?? I checked out the ape caves and it was OK - if its raining, that might be the thing to do. if sunny and nice , I would hike around st helens and blow off the ape caves.

But kevins is right, hood river, the gorge area is simply amazing and I plan to return there to check more of it out sometime.

If your planning to stay in ashford, I would make that arrangment sooner rather than later - there isn't much there and rainier is pretty popular not only for climbers, but families, etc.. as there is lots of easy hiking there. So - I think it fills up. not 100% sure, but think so. if you stay in tacoma, (1.5 hours from rainier???) no need, loads of cheap motels there you can walk into. then again - you are going early - might be lighter traffic then.

Bottom line - if you can swing the gorge and hood river - do it... some easy hiking aroung Multnomah (sp??) falls as well.

Last edited:
I should also add that my son used to live in Portland, so I'm more familiar with that area than Seattle. There maybe just as many neat places around there and Tacoma, but I'm just not familiar with them.

Once you go east of the Cascades, the climate changes dramatically, as you're in the rain shadow. Rather arid, much more like the Southwest in many ways. In a day's drive you can go from a semi-arid climate to a rain forest when the trees are so tall it's sometimes hard to see their tops.

You'll see plenty of trees, rocks, and snow at Rainier.

Use at least one of your daytrip opportunities to tour Puget Sound on a Washington State Ferry. You can smirk at the commuters going to work while you gawk at working vessels, sealife (maybe even orcas if you're really, really lucky), and amazing skyline views of the Olympics, Cascades, and Seattle.

The best trip would be from Anacortes out to the San Juan Islands, if you have the time and the schedule works. But even a crossing to Bainbridge Island and back from downtown Seattle could be fun, especially if combined with a must-do trip to the Pike Place Market .

If you do plan a ferry tour, be sure to check the schedules closely. They had to pull several boats out of service this winter when they discovered that the 80-year-old hulls were about to split at the keel. :eek: The rest of the fleet is fine. Really. :)

Something Brian and I learned this past August: If you park in Seattle at the REI parking garage, be aware that the garage and store close at the same time. We shopped there on a Sunday afternoon, then walked down the road for pizza, beer, and a ride up the Needle followed by a stop at Whole Foods. By the time we arrived back at the garage, at 8:50, everything was shut up tight. Ooooops. A small sign at the entrance had stated the hours, but to us the place appeared as public parking and we didn't consider that it would close before, perhaps, midnight.

The park is so huge and magnificent that I would recommend staying in the area and going on some day hikes on the Wonderland Trail. I went in alone last August and spent three days on the Trail, spending two nights at Indian Barr and hiking to Summerland on the middle day.

In the off time before your summit attempt, you might consider a bit of acclimatization. Try to go anywhere high--a walk to Muir Camp and back would be ideal.

Doug

Jay H said:
There's also a very nice restaurant just down the road on the other side that we ate at, although I don't recall the name, hopefully somebody else chimes in here with that...
Jay
It's on the right hand side of the road if you're heading towards the mountain from Whitaker's. It's called the Apple something (Sherpa, you must remember!) but it was great food and really nice people.

I agree that hiking around St. Helen's would be great, but I think it was closer to 2 hours to get there. The terrain was very interesting and looking at all the damage from the blast was pretty incredible.

DougPaul said:
In the off time before your summit attempt, you might consider a bit of acclimatization. Try to go anywhere high--a walk to Muir Camp and back would be ideal.

Doug
I was thinking something "in the area", since we're there, that we shouldn't miss; but this is good advice and is probably what we'll do after the Mountain School. Mt St Helen's after the summit attempt, before we leave would be good also. I may have to save Puget Sound and Olympic NP for a family trip.

50 Hikes in Mount Rainier National Park

Chip,

I have a book published by the Mountaineers and written by Ira Spring and Harvey Manning titled 50 Hikes in Mount Rainier National Park. Besides the expected trail descriptions and lots of pictures, it lists when each hike in the park is "hikable". I take "hikable" means that the bridges that get washed out in the spring have been replaced and most of the snow has melted and the blowdowns have been cleared. The price on the book is listed at $14.95. I think I bought it while I was out there a few years ago. Amazon probably lists it.

I spent my entire week out there on the mountain so I can't personally recommend any of the hikes in the book. The views out there are incredible. I bet they are all great.

In Seattle, I also enjoyed the Boeing Museum and the Space Needle. Farmer's Market on the Seattle waterfront is also a neat place to go.

Last edited: