Thursday, May 13. Algonquin ADK

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Going to try an off-trail hike of Algonquin's west side from Scott's clearing environs on the Indian Pass trail. Let me know if you're interested. (Planning for snow/ice, hoping for none.)

Here are 2 pics that give an idea.
Here's an Acme mapper version. (connect the balloons. :) ) Might go directly from "Shelter" to "C".

Neil.

Can't; stuck at work. But I've always wanted to go this route.

If I were plotting that trip, I would start about 3/4 mile S of the leanto, and then take the steepest line uphill to the SE, and try to hit the open bump at N 44.15241 W 73.99455. Looks like a really cool, seldom visited spot; I've looked down on it many times and wondered. Getting to that spot would be a good reason to do this trip.

Looking forward to the report!

Tom

Neil.

Can't; stuck at work. But I've always wanted to go this route.

If I were plotting that trip, I would start about 3/4 mile S of the leanto, and then take the steepest line uphill to the SE, and try to hit the open bump at N 44.15241 W 73.99455. Looks like a really cool, seldom visited spot; I've looked down on it many times and wondered. Getting to that spot would be a good reason to do this trip.

Looking forward to the report!

Tom
Funny you would mention that. I just drew it in in Topo! I think I'll pass this time around unless I have time to exit that way, because of wanting to explore this slide and gully between C and D on the Acme mapper file.

I plan on whacking every ridge and gully on the "sunny side of the Macintyre Range" over the next year or 2 anyway so I'm sure the opportunity will arise.

You can make out the exposed bump in the far left of this zoomed pic (taken from somewhere on LPP)

Last edited:
Funny you would mention that. I just drew it in in Topo! I think I'll pass this time around unless I have time to exit that way, because of wanting to explore this slide and gully between C and D on the Acme mapper file.

I plan on whacking every ridge and gully on the "sunny side of the Macintyre Range" over the next year or 2 anyway so I'm sure the opportunity will arise.
This sounds really cool, but alas I will have to pass as well.

I think Neil is now qualified for the title 'Whack-a-holic'! :D

Neil,

Man, I'd love to try that but, unfortunately, my job-schedule doesn't permit mid-week excursions.

Another reason is that there's disparity between my desires and my abilities. I want to tackle this kind of stuff but my current athletic abilities aren't up to the task. I've read some of your recent exploits; how the heck do you stay in shape for this kind of trip?

FWIW
When I was half my current age, a good friend and I went up the west side of Colden via the Trap Dyke and then down the east side, following whatever open slide area we found, until we came out on the trail (along the Opalescent). Recommended.

Another reason is that there's disparity between my desires and my abilities. I want to tackle this kind of stuff but my current athletic abilities aren't up to the task. I've read some of your recent exploits; how the heck do you stay in shape for this kind of trip?
He stays in shape for these kinds of things by DOING these kinds of things - all the time! Being self-employed, Dr. Luckhurst can pick his own hours.

He stays in shape for these kinds of things by DOING these kinds of things - all the time! Being self-employed, Dr. Luckhurst can pick his own hours.

Hehe....why work your tail off until retirement and then collapse in a heap. I'd much rather work less now and then work even less later and retire late. Anyway, I love what I do and I do what I love. Can't beat that with a stick.

As for staying in shape I go up and down a very steep gully on Mount Royal about 20 times a week (it's a killer), walk a lot and I also do a lot of hiking in order to remain fit. I roller blade too. Entered the Montreal In-Line Marathon race on Sunday and did the half in 21km in 1:02 on my old clunkers.

... I go up and down a very steep gully on Mount Royal about 20 times a week (it's a killer), walk a lot and I also do a lot of hiking in order to remain fit. I roller blade too. ...
I suspected that one hike per week wouldn't do the trick.

Good luck with the bushwhack up Algonquin!

I suspected that one hike per week wouldn't do the trick.

Good luck with the bushwhack up Algonquin!

A hike a week for us aging hikers just doesn't cut it. Neither does a little flat pavement jogging or walking. You have to put lots of steep vertical into the mix.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Btw, check out Fousderando.com, the francophone hiking forum.

Latest posts