Tips for bear confrontations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab2020

Reaction score
Clarksville, MD Avatar: Babo, SE Arete, Summit
Havent been to the daks in the summer in a while, and was just curious as to how people who camp between flowed lands and Marcy Dam are handling bears nowadays...

Are the bears still as confrontational as ever?... approaching, then circling the camp enough to make you intimidated.

Are banging pots, yelling, and looking real big critical... or are there those who have found they can be quiet continue to eat and the bear will wander off if it sense you are not leaving...

I have had my share of yelling at bears (including retrieving my pack from one), just wondering if there were any other good tips out there.

Last edited:
Justin,

Since DEC made it mandatory to carry bear cannisters if your overnighting the bears have actually became less of a problem from what I can see. If your camping in that area you may see one but chances are slim.

Have fun!

Adam

Follow the guidelines that DEC recommends:

Keep all your food in your canister
Don't cook where you're sleeping
cook, eat and clean up quickly

We stayed at Lake Colden last July for several nights and had no problems at all. There were probably easier pickings out there, and we weren't bothered.

Are the canesters required everywhere in the Adks, or only in the LK-Marcy Dam area??

Take The Long View ...

I believe the bear canister regulation is in effect, for now, in only the Eastern High Peaks.

But let us not forget what brought on that regulation in the first place.

After town dumps were closed during the 1970s and 1980s, the Eastern High Peaks is where bears found that raiding campers’ larders was easy and very, very lucrative.

Anecdotal evidence now seems to indicate the canister regulation there has been successful in depriving the bears of their easy marks. History tells us the bears will cast about and eventually find other easy-pickings territory to congregate in and work.

You know where this is going, right?

It just makes sense to use the canisters throughout the region, whether required by regulation or not. That will help keep the bears dispersed. It is taking the “long view” of these things. Otherwise, history repeats itself.

G.

Good thoughts, Grumpy.

Any time I'm overnighting, whether it's in the High Peaks, Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, or anywhere else; my bear canister is in tow.

It was a huge comfort to know that my food was safe from the big bruin that came to visit one dark night in a lean-to near Flowed Lands. It was further comforting that I knew the bear would probably learn that it was futile to forage around the lean-to anymore.

(And, just to reinforce, the canister rule is for the Eastern High Peaks.)

This brings up another question.
Where is the official line that divides the west from the east?

I asked a ranger once, and he did'nt really know exactly. I was under the impression that it was along the macintyre range somewhere. That being the case,the majority of the 46 is in the east.

I bring my cannister practicaly everywhere I go in the northeast now.
I don't mind the extra 2.6 lbs, to avoid the hassle of finding that perfect branch and if nothing else, gives me a little piece of mind while I sleep.

jbrown said:
It was a huge comfort to know that my food was safe from the big bruin that came to visit one dark night in a lean-to near Flowed Lands.

It's also comforting to know that a mouse, squirrel, raccoon, or other industrious little creature hasn't gotten into the food. ;)

Stev-o said:
This brings up another question.
Where is the official line that divides the west from the east?
It is described briefly on the DEC website, Bear Resistant Canister Regulation, as "the ridge line immediately west of the Indian Pass Trail." It is also shown on the current ADK club map Trails of the Adirondack High Peak Region. My copy came in the 13th edition (2004) of the ADK Adirondack Trails, High Peak Region trail guidebook. It is the ridgeline that includes Nye, Street, Lost Pond Mt, and MacNaughton. The Sewards and Santanonis are in the western High Peaks.

Some backpackers cook and eat in one location, and then continue hiking to another location to avoid the smell of food anywhere at their campsite. But that is a practice many may not find enjoyable. A clean camp and a bear canister should be the basic and adequate protection.

Encounters with bears during the day while hiking are rarely a problem. I don't think I have ever seen a black bear while hiking in the Adirondacks.

I have had many chance meetings with black bears on trails in the Catskills. They have never been confrontational. It is always a wonder to see them. They are always the first to leave the scene. But then the remote, back country bears in the Catskills never learned the habits of their Adirondack cousins.

Last edited:
i12climbup said:
It's also comforting to know that a mouse, squirrel, raccoon, or other industrious little creature hasn't gotten into the food. ;)

You speak the truth! I did have a raccoon bite my map once; I still use it, and it still has the teeth marks...maybe I should keep my map in there too.

Someone asked me whether cannisters were required for day hikes, or only for overnights. I doubt they are, but don't really know. ???

I've never seen a bear in the ADKs, day or night, but who knows where one may pop up. However, I've heard many of those 'Endless Summer'-influenced lines in passing thru Marcy Dam and Flowed Lands: 'ya really missed it - ya shoulda been here last night!'

rup said:
Someone asked me whether cannisters were required for day hikes, or only for overnights. I doubt they are, but don't really know. ???
Canisters are not required for day hikes. From the DEC website Bear Resistant Canister Regulation:
"during the period April 1 through November 30, no overnight camper in the Eastern High Peaks Zone shall fail to use bear-resistant canisters for the storage of all food, food containers, garbage, and toiletries."

an overnight camper is defined as "a person who stays or intends to stay in the Eastern High Peaks Zone during the night."​

Latest posts