Tom, Field, and Willey - 3/10/2007

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
Saturday, March 10, 2007

Mounts Tom, Field, and Willey (Plans A & B)

Jen-san and I will be hiking Tom, Field, and Willey on 3/10/07. We plan to meet at Crawford Station at 8:30am – 8:45am, take care of a car spot if possible, and be hiking by 9:00am. If there is no car spot, we’ll hike the loop – Plan A. With a car spot we’ll hike the traverse – Plan B.

Plan A:

Tom, Field, and Willey loop from Crawford Notch.

We’ll hike the Avalon Trail, A-Z Trail, Mt. Tom Spur (up and down), Willey Range Trail over Field to Willey and back to the Avalon Trail junction, and out on the Avalon Trail.

Distance: 10 miles, Elevation: 3,400 feet

Plan B:

If we can arrange a car spot…

We’ll hike the Avalon Trail, A-Z Trail, Mt. Tom Spur (up and down), Willey Range Trail over Field to Willey, and the Ethan Pond Trail out.

Distance: 8.5 Miles, Elevation: 3,100 Feet

If you are interested in joining this hike please respond directly to this thread or by PM.

A few PM's have come in concerned with the weather for Saturday.

I’ve been watching the usual forecasts. The National Weather Service hourly forecast for Saturday indicates they expect any precipitation in the Crawford Notch area to hold off until ~early/mid afternoon (at least 2:00pm) with a 40 percent probability. Before that time the probability is listed at 7 percent.

I’m guessing by that time we should be in the vicinity of Mt. Willey, or on the way out.

The current forecast is in fact an improvement over the forecast that was available yesterday, and even this morning. From here it looks like the hike will not be affected by adverse weather. :)