Total Winter Daypack Weight

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Chip and Dave M recently initiated some interesting threads on what to carry for winter hiking. The information was invaluable, but it got me wondering what the total weight is that each person carries.

So, my question to you all is: what does your winter day pack typically weigh?

Assuming I am barebooting, mine probably weighs between 22 and 25 pounds Starting out, including crampons, other traction aids and snowshoes. I also carry a fanny pack. With food, glasses, maps and a water bottle & cozy, it weights 3 pounds. Total weight therefore goes between 25 and 28 pounds.
The variation is due to intended length of hike, type of terrain and weather.

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks,
Marty

Last edited:
My basic winter hiking/skiing daypack usually weighs 22-23 lbs. Add snowshoes and cranpons as needed for hiking. Sometimes, I'll carry both an ice axe and poles depending on where I am going.

Doug

With extra clothes in the pack and not on me, snowshoes on my feet, poles strapped to pack (I usually take both poles and ice axe and carry the axe in hand), and crampons in the pack, the pack weight is 27-28 pounds.

I travel alone, so a per-person load in a two person party could be lighter, as we could share some of the stuff I bring -- folding saw, stove, fuel, cook kit, first aid kit, etc. Note also that I'm carrying a pound or more of dog food.

Whoops. I just edited my post. I originally forgot to include the three pounds that my fanny pack and a water bottle weigh. Thanks for the posts so far. Keep 'em coming!

Marty

Here are the weights. The first weight is my packweight before efforts to lightweight. The second weight reflects my new weight. One of the things I changed was a reduction from 2L water to 1L water so that is 2lb of the difference. I'm not 100% confident with the new gear collection so I know my weight is higher as I revert back on some of my choices.

Weight without crampons or snowshoes 29.6; 21.5
Weight wearing snowshoes / carrying crampons 31.7; 23.7
Weight wearing crampons / carrying snowshoes 34.2; 26.1
Weight Carrying both crampons and snowshoes 36.3; 28.3

My typical pack weight is around 25 pounds, but then I add 3 for the crampons, 5 for the snowshoes, 5 for the skis, 2 for the mountaineering axe, and 4 for the technical axes, if I take any of them. I also add the appropriate amount for a tent, if I take one. I add up all the items I'm taking on the spreadsheet, and that tells me which pack I should bring.

Latest posts