Trail Running shoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Reaction score
There has been a big interest recently in trail running, and I know I have lots of questions about footwear. So here's a thread for recommendations and questions about trail running shoes.

I have a pair of Merrills that I'm looking to replace. Several folks have suggested Inov-8; is there a place near Boston where you can try on a few pairs? What are people using?

I have a narrow foot. Lately I've been running in Scarpa (Pursuit GTX) and La Sportiva (Raptor), both of which fit a narrow foot pretty well. I used to run in Montrail Hurricane Ridge, but Montrail screwed up their designs a few years ago, and I have not been able to fit in a Montrail Shoe since then. I'm a fan of light, soft shoes, so I don't have luck with Hitec, North Face, etc., which feel stiff and boxy to me.

For those in the Adks, The Mountaineer in Keene Valley is a good place for shoes.

For any one living out in Western MA near Amherst, the Clear Run in So Hadley has them.
http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=394
It's a large dog training facility, and they sell tons of dog related items.
I bought two pair of Inov's and absolutely love them. The 312 GTX are my favorites. The Terroc 330's were not as supportive for my bad feet.
Get Mapquest directions if you are going because the place doesn't exactly jump out at you.
I called first because what I saw on the web was not everything that they had in the store.
AS an aside...if you like Border Collies you will get to meet a few.

OOPS...this page has directions. http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&Page_ID=8

Last edited:
This is that other thread.

I'm not a huge trail runner yet, but I hope to be soon :). I recently bought these New Balance shoes from Zappos and they are literally the first pair of shoes I've been able to run in at all for about 15 years. I bought a second pair to have one hold. Obviously New Balance is good if you have very wide feet.

If you've never done it, spend some time figuring out what shoe last is right for you. That's how I found the 1320's.

Inov-8 Retailer Locator

I personally couldn't find anyone in New England with any of the models I wished to try on in any reasonable sizes. Inov-8s are known to run small - I wear a 13/47 in most shoes and I tried on a pair and the 13s were too small.

I ended up buying Scarpa Kailash boots, which I am wearing right now to help break them in. They are kinda warm :( but they are lighter (by a whole pound) than the LL Bean Crestas they are replacing.

Despite all the joy on VFTT, the results of my poll showed 2:1 boots over trail runners, and nobody in the business of selling footwear would recommend them for hiking. And the folks I talked to said I'd be lucky to get a year out of them which was a big turnoff for me.

Tim

Last edited:
Inov-8 Retailer Locator
I personally couldn't find anyone in New England with any of the models I wished to try on in any reasonable sizes. Inov-8s are known to run small - I wear a 13/47 in most shoes and I tried on a pair and the 13s were too small.
Tim

I have the Inov-8 318 GTX. As I said on the other thread, it is the driest gore-tex shoe I've owned and real grippy. They've held up pretty well after several months of use. Zappos.com has free shipping back and forth and have a decent selection. Problem with the stores is the poor size selection (especially for bigger sizes) IMO. Inov-8's do run pretty small. I'm usually a 12 and had to pick up a 13. I also have a pair of Vasque Velocity GTXs but found they are too boxy. I still alternate between the two.

For running/hiking in the whites I would suggest inov8 roclite 295, 305, or 315. The 305's offer the most underfoot protection with a light well draining upper. The 315 has a more rugged upper with a rand reaching to the midfoot down either side which i've been told holds onto water a bit longer also slighltly less underfoot protection. Not sure about the 295's bit I know some people here use them. Another shoe I really is the La Sportiva crosslite it has a snugger fitting upper and the outsole is just as sticky as the inov8 rubber. The Inov8 website is very helpfull in choosing a model.

I like Zappos they have that great free return shipping.

Also keep in mind alot of trail shoes now are extremely low profile so that may be quite different than what you are used to especially if you are a heel striker.

just my two pence

For Bostoners, the Brighton New Balance factory store is probably a good place to start. The MT100 model that I've been wearing cost me ~$41/pair with the Charlie Card discount. I'm pretty sure they have just about every model New Balance sells, as well.

The only downside is that you've gotta do your own research on NB sizing, lasts, etc. I wouldn't count on the sales reps.

p.s. in my search, I had checked Zappos (called them actually) and, at LRiz's prodding, I checked also with Zombie Runner and they said there was no inventory anywhere from Invo-8 in a size 14 in the styles I was considering (the 320 is discontinued and will be replaced with the 319...)

Tim

For Bostoners, the Brighton New Balance factory store is probably a good place to start. The MT100 model that I've been wearing .
Also, New Balance is coming out with the MT 101 which is an upgrade to the extremely popular MT 100. Looking forward to getting those...

-Dr. Wu

Last year and the year before, I shredded a pair of North Face trail runners in Colorado.
This year I shredded a pair of Montrails.

Just can’t have anything nice…

Recent Innov8 convert. Tried pretty much everything and like the Roclite 295's for pemis, pressies and everything else that is or is not runnable. I have a size 13 foot and found other brands to be tight at 13 but the innov8s fit great. I shred new balance shoes like its a joke and have done well so far in the 295's.Got mine at Joe kings on the discount rack for $66 in Concord because i wanted to try them on, although they only carry one or two models. When these are done I'll try some of the other models. Nothing can compare with the traction.

I've had two pairs now of Vasque Velocity GTX and I love them.

The Running Ahead application on Facebook has a shoe tracker option, that's really handy for managing shoes cost/wear.

My old pair has 637 miles on them and are basically worthless for anything other than taking out the trash. I hiked/trail ran in them until about 400 miles but they were pretty shot at that point in terms of tread. They cost me 8 cents per mile.

My current pair is at 225 miles and is starting to show significant tread wear in the forefoot. I use them for hiking explicitly now that I'm not trailrunning -- but they were awesome for trailrunning. So far, they have cost me 31 cents per mile, I got them on sale. :)

I'm interested in trying the Inov8's but I think I will hold off until next spring.

Good thread, Dave!

The only downside is that you've gotta do your own research on NB sizing, lasts, etc. I wouldn't count on the sales reps.
NB has very good info on their models on the web:
* Mens running shoes: http://www.shopnewbalance.com/category.asp?type=mrun&nbweref=&nbwersb=y
* General: http://www.shopnewbalance.com/nb_footwear.asp

After I looked around a bit, I found that there was a set of 5-10 features (eg "stability" = arch support for pronation control) and the shoes were combinations of these features. I figured out what I needed/wanted, chose several models and hit the store...

Doug

Ferrisjrf mentioned it in a previous post, but for those who didn't catch it:

If you are buying NB in the Boston area go to the factory store and show your MBTA Charlie Card to receive 25% off any one item. Worth it to buy the card just for the savings.

VT

Inov-8's US office is in Southboro, MA not too far outside of Boston. Give them a call and you can probably walk in and try out all the different models. I use the 295's for all kinds of different runs. The 320's are a great shoe also. There contact info is here: http://www.inov-8.com/Contact-Us.asp?L=27
Gina can probably help you with any questions. I've been wearing Inov8's since I bought my first pair in Italy in 2004 and can't imagine wearing anything else on the trails.