Trail to Allen - Not that it really matters, but

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond

Reaction score
My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very
... does anyone remember the exact date the trail to Allen was reopened eight years ago?

Here’s another question that just occurred to me:

Is PinPin still climbing the High Peaks? I didn’t see his name in any trail head registers I perused in a couple visits to the Adirondacks this summer. That includes the Santanoni register, which went back into April. He wasn’t in there once. It caught my attention, and has me a little concerned.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by reopened.

Route that was in existence for decades was partially on private property leased by Sportman's clubs, but owned by Finch Pruyn Paper.
FPP closed routes across their leaseholders lands in the 80's and a new route was flagged that followed the outside of the private property line and became mostly the new route.
You may be aware of all of this. I'm not recalling any other closing unless it was for a short time for a water crossing or other safety issue I'm not remembering.

Here’s another question that just occurred to me:

Is PinPin still climbing the High Peaks? I didn’t see his name in any trail head registers I perused in a couple visits to the Adirondacks this summer. That includes the Santanoni register, which went back into April. He wasn’t in there once. It caught my attention, and has me a little concerned.

Back in March, he wrote,

"Thank You every hikers with We hiked or meet....Now You know why in my other trip report We tell You :

"Now this is the time to turn the page...."
"

I take this to mean that he has moved on to other hiking, but that's just a guess.

... does anyone remember the exact date the trail to Allen was reopened eight years ago?

My hiking log says "September 15, 2001 - Allen from Upper Works" and I'm reasonably certain that Finch-Pruyn had re-opened the area only a week or two before. It had been closed for awhile - 3 years or so? - as they were salvaging lumber damaged by Hurricane Floyd.

It was an unusual day to hike, as it was the first day commercial flights were allowed after 9/11, and there were lots of hikers finishing their 46's on Allen since it had been closed for so long - about 12-15 showed up in the 45 minutes or so I was on the summit.

Yes, Hurricane Floyd was September 16-17, 1999. The hurricane dropped almost a foot of rain on the Adirondacks, and created many new slides and much blowdown. Notable results of Floyd, in addition to the temporary closing of the Allen approach, were the extinguishing of the fire on Noonmark, and the creation of the very dramatic slide at the height of land in Avalanche Pass.

My hiking log says "September 15, 2001 - Allen from Upper Works" and I'm reasonably certain that Finch-Pruyn had re-opened the area only a week or two before. It had been closed for awhile - 3 years or so? - as they were salvaging lumber damaged by Hurricane Floyd.

It was an unusual day to hike, as it was the first day commercial flights were allowed after 9/11, and there were lots of hikers finishing their 46's on Allen since it had been closed for so long - about 12-15 showed up in the 45 minutes or so I was on the summit.

I came up empty handed searching for an exact date but I hiked Allen on 9/21/01 from Upper Works. The trail had opened within a week or two of the date I climbed it so I'm guessing that it was probably between 9/10/01 - 9/14/01 based on Kevin's response.

I hiked it September 29, 2001, and read somewhere that some people finished their Forty-Six on Allen on September 11, 2001, so it was probably open by then, as it had supposedly been impassable before that. I was just curious about the exact date, possibly lost in the mists of time.

Thanks for the info.

How many Forty-Six rounds did PinPin end up with? It couldn’t have been 366, anyway, as I had begun to think he was shooting for.

Narrowing it down a little more -
My log shows I hiked the reopened route to Allen on August 26, 2001. The "trail" through the cleaned-up devestation, prior to the herd path, was pretty much non-existent.

I went through a month after you, and remember that the way was marked with sticks sporting orange and/or black-and-green-striped ribbons. It was, as the cliché says, like a moonscape. In the afternoon a fellow was driving a little bulldozer or something, moving piles of debris. I thanked him for his efforts.

Two years later the sticks were all gone, and by 2008 the area was quite overgrown.

Here’s a comparison of the end of that stretch:

2003:

10125_1111507388475_1250583159_30285279_7460889_n.jpg

2008:

5568_1080018841281_1250583159_30200598_4489760_n.jpg

Ah, the ravages of time on the signs!