Trailwrights List Ruling

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
I understand that for the Trailwrights list each mountain has to be a separate hike.

1.) What is the ruling for overnighters? Is each day considered a separate hike, or do I have to return to a trailhead for it to count? For example: can I bag Guyot, stay at Guyot shelter for the night, and then get Bond the next day?

2.) Can I do two in one day by returning to a trailhead? For example: can I bag Hale, return to my car, change my scivies, get some water and go do North Twin?

Paradox said:
I understand that for the Trailwrights list each mountain has to be a separate hike.

1.) What is the ruling for overnighters? Is each day considered a separate hike, or do I have to return to a trailhead for it to count? For example: can I bag Guyot, stay at Guyot shelter for the night, and then get Bond the next day?

2.) Can I do two in one day by returning to a trailhead? For example: can I bag Hale, return to my car, change my scivies, get some water and go do North Twin?

My understanding is:
1) no
2) yes

So, Bonds and Guyot require four separate trips, whether or not overnighters.

Paradox said:
change my scivies

I think you have to wash them too, not just change them..

Who makes up these rules? :confused:*

Jay

*this is a rhetorical question, just in case you thought of answering.

Jay

I actually like the Trailwrights rules vs. some of the others. Besides that you need to do trail work, they don't allow multiple peaks on a single trip. So, for instance, many typical peakbaggers will do all the Bonds on a single trip. W/ Trailwrights, you would need three separate trips. They also do away with the 200' col rule, so in effect...there are less rules.

I have, to some degree, followed their rules more closely than some of the others.

I know if was rhetorical, but felt like answering anyway. :)

dug said:
They also do away with the 200' col rule, so in effect...there are less rules.
They've essentially used a 100' col rule instead, just a different choice not a lack of rule.

Having done the Trailwrights list according to their rules, I found it a very enjoyable quest.

David Metsky said:
They've essentially used a 100' col rule instead, just a different choice not a lack of rule.

Thanks Dave. I wasn't sure if there wa a 100' rule or not.

dug said:
Thanks Dave. I wasn't sure if there wa a 100' rule or not.
It's actually not. The col rule is arbitrary. Little Haystack has a prominence (col) of 0' and Mt. Franklin has a prominence of 25'. At the same time, peaks like Ball Crag, which has a prominence of 31', does not appear on the list.

This link can give you an idea of the "peaks" above 4000' and their prominence. I put peak in quotes because a peak with prominence of zero kind of defies the definition of peak, I think. The list basically goes on name recognition -- I bet you could find a bunch of "zero prominence peaks" if you look (not so) hard enough. It's a nice list though.

-Dr. Wu

That's why I said "essentially". :) It's a combination of 100', peaks with names, history, and the guy who created the list personal choices.

I agree with DrD and DM but if you want an official ruling, ask the Hiking Chairman of Trailwrights

It’s okay to climb multiple mountains on one hike, but you have to decide which one of those you want to claim, right? If you accidentally hit a second, the first one isn’t voided, is it? Or am I wrong?

I assumed that if I climbed, say, Tripyramid thrice, I could claim a different peak from each hike, I hadn’t blown that possibility by doing the entire loop.

Last edited:
http://www.trailwrights.org/72summits.htm

1. Hikes/Bushwhacks start and finish on foot from any maintained road, class V or better, parking area, or U.S. Forest Service roads open for traffic. Exception: Mt. Washington auto road cannot be driven (not recommended to hike this road).

2. Each peak must be climbed individually; therefore, only one peak counts per hike or backpack.

From the PDF list of peaks (http://www.trailwrights.org/docs/72list.pdf):

Our criteria for selecting these peaks were:
1) Must be over 4000 feet high.
2) Must have a name or 100' col.
3) Must be on USGS map listed

Tim

Last edited:
Raymond said:
I assumed that if I climbed, say, Tripyramid thrice, I could claim a different peak from each hike, I hadn’t blown that possibility by doing the entire loop.
That's correct. For example, it's pretty hard (but not impossible) to climb Lincoln without first hitting Lafayette or Little Haystack.

Really to each his own but imo, this is a case of way to many rules for bagging peaks. Having done the 4k's, that was as strict as I would get. Another rule I didnt care for was the 3000ft rule in CO while bagging the 14ers as I am now. Basically there are a few peaks ( Ill use Mt. Bierstadt for auguments sake ) where you do not gain 3000ft as the trailhead is over 11,000ft. In order to follow the rule you would have to park down the road about 1 mile os so and hike up from there, I do not think thats contributes anything to the hike but unnessary walking, so I have accepted the peak as done on my list with less then 3000ft and yes I still sleep great at night.
Although on that same note, Mt Evans ( another 14er) has a road to the summit, and there are routes you can access from that road, I would not in fact park on the road and summitt with less then the 3000ft, because there are many routes that offer 3000ft and using the road to cut that down seems to easy.

Last edited: