Treatment for leather boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loanshark

Reaction score
I just purchased a pair of all leather hiking boots. What's the best product for treating the leather?

I vary between Nikwax Aqueous and Snoseal. The Nikwax seems to do a better job on penetrating seams, and Snoseal fixes scuffs better.

With either product, use it gingerly around the rand (assuming the boots have glued, rather than welt construction) as they can weaken the bond between the sole and the leather.

Avoid anything with silicone - it will soften and stretch the leather.

Hi Skip,
I use the snoseal on the sorrel type leather boots (just leather) but they recommended the Nikwax Fabric and Leather Proof for boots that have Gore-Tex. Have used it for a couple of years and it works well.
Congrats on finishing the 48.
Ken

Does the fact that these boots have goretex have any influence as to which product I use?

Another vote for Limmer boot grease.

My favorite despite trying almost everything else. Conditions & waterproofs leather without containing heavy amounts of solvents that will damage the leather. Also like the fact that it can be applied routinely and casually without hassle or a big procedure.

IMHO - If they are Goretext boots, applying waterproofing to the exterior leather doesnt make a lot of sense. The premise of Goretexx boots is that they allow the feet to get dry by allowing vapor to go through the Goretex membrane and out through the boot without letting liquid water enter the boot. Putting a waterproof coating on the exterior of the boot stops this vapor exchange and renders the goretex useless (some would argue that for hiking it is useless). Generally goretex gear is coated with a DWR coating that make water droplets slide off instead of soaking into the leather and most boot leathers has some sort of treatment that does the same thing without cutting down on vapor transmission. It all is fine in theory but most folks with goretex boots find that once the boots get worn in and have been through a mud season, the whole goretex concept turns into ignoring the goretex and slathering some sort of boot grease (like Limmers) and giving up on breathability.

Thanks all for responding. The info received on this site is far superior to that supplied at the REI Store.

It depends on what type of leather the boots are. If the boots are full grain leather I would use "Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP". If your boots are split grain then use Limmer Boot Grease. Obenauf's is safe for use on Gore-Tex.

IMHO - If they are Goretext boots, applying waterproofing to the exterior leather doesnt make a lot of sense. The premise of Goretexx boots is that they allow the feet to get dry by allowing vapor to go through the Goretex membrane and out through the boot without letting liquid water enter the boot. Putting a waterproof coating on the exterior of the boot stops this vapor exchange and renders the goretex useless (some would argue that for hiking it is useless). Generally goretex gear is coated with a DWR coating that make water droplets slide off instead of soaking into the leather and most boot leathers has some sort of treatment that does the same thing without cutting down on vapor transmission. It all is fine in theory but most folks with goretex boots find that once the boots get worn in and have been through a mud season, the whole goretex concept turns into ignoring the goretex and slathering some sort of boot grease (like Limmers) and giving up on breathability.
My understanding of the rationale for applying water-proofing to Goretex boots is to protect the leather from moisture damage. Both the Goretex layer and the waterproofing reduce the moisture permeability of the boot. (The low overall permeability of of Goretex boots results in my feet always getting wet, so I avoid them.)

A relevant previous thread: "Boots coming unglued?" http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33051

Doug

The boots I purchased and have not yet used are Zamberlan Vioz GT. They are advertized as full grain leather.

Limmer Boot Grease -- needs no embellishment by me.

I agree. But check boot manufacturer's recommendations.

Have had excellent results using Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative on other footwear, and use it on the leather interior of my Limmer boots. Contains beeswax, which (I am led to understand) helps inhibit mold, etc.

G.