Trekking Pole Repair

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p2piper

Reaction score
Good day,

I have a pair of Alpinist trekking poles from EMS that have seen some hard use this year. These poles lock or unlock when you spin them in one direction or the other. One pole has "broken". When I try to lock it tight, it simply continues to spin. There seems to be no way to tighten it anymore. Is this repairable or do I need to buy a new pair of poles?

Thanks,

p2

The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it.
--Harry Emerson Fosdick

Disassemble and clean the parts, and sparingly apply some lubrication. You can rough up the outside the little spinning component with sandpaper, that will help it catch. It's a fact of life with these type of poles, you need to maintain them occasionally. This is why I switched to the BD Flick-Lock poles.

-dave-

Usually it is just general maintenance to keep it in top top shape as Doug mentions - However, It might also be that the nylon"Twist-lock" mechanism has separated from the top of the aluminum pole section. If this is the case, you might be better off seeing if you can get a new section from EMS. Otherwise, buy a replacement pole and save the rest of the non-functioning pole and use it for spares. (I have made several multicolor poles from bits of spare parts over saved the years) :D

DougPaul said:
With only a trivial amount of maintenence, I have no trouble with my twist-lock Lekis.

The bottom line is that they both work with only small amounts of maintence.
I've had both kinds over the past 20 years. The amount of maintenance I've done on my flick-locks is essentially zero. I can't tell you how many times I've had to fuss with my twist lock poles and have had them collapse on me in a poor situation. Certainly, they can work just fine. The problem is that they don't work as well as the flick-locks.

-dave-

The Leki's use an aluminum threaded portion with a nylon nut that's divided into 4 sections.

The standard Komperdell's use a nylon threaded portion with a carbide core and a two section threaded nylon lock nut.

I have repaired both with great success. A little maintenance goes a long way, but one of my poles does loosen from the way I twist the pole in my right hand while hiking. It's not annoying enough for me to do anything about it though.

If the nylon lock nut did strip out it'll be hard to find an alternative other than the original. But, if the threaded portion is chewed it's much easier to fix. Just drill it, tap it, and thread in a stud or bolt end (with Loctite) that has been filed to a point, the put the nylon lock nut back on (make sure you get the right thread pitch). Two of mine (one Leki and one Komperdell) have been going for 2 years like this with no problems. Both poles were thrown out because they were "broken".

The duo-lock Komperdells that are on my carbon poles have a different locking mechanism. It's a nylon threaded portion with two beefier locking nuts that are opposing in thread, so they move in opposite directions and lock in two different areas.

I see that Komperdell now makes a carbon pole in a flicklock setup, but I'm not shelling out the $$$ for new poles just for a different mechanism.

David Metsky said:
I've had both kinds over the past 20 years. The amount of maintenance I've done on my flick-locks is essentially zero. I can't tell you how many times I've had to fuss with my twist lock poles and have had them collapse on me in a poor situation. Certainly, they can work just fine. The problem is that they don't work as well as the flick-locks.
My experience is that I only have to clean and lube my Lekis once every several years or so. Essentially zero effort in my book.

Doug