Tripyramid 2/10/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
I’m planning on doing the Tripyramid on Saturday, weather permitting so if anyone wants to tag along they are more than welcome. One quick question, given that the Livermore trail doubles as a XC ski trail, what is the etiquette with sharing the trail while snowshoeing? Right, left, or center? Also, does anyone know if the trail is broken out since our latest storm?

MadRiver said:
I’m planning on doing the Tripyramid on Saturday, weather permitting so if anyone wants to tag along they are more than welcome. One quick question, given that the Livermore trail doubles as a XC ski trail, what is the etiquette with sharing the trail while snowshoeing? Right, left, or center? Also, does anyone know if the trail is broken out since our latest storm?
The groomed (lower) part of Livermore Rd is center skate groomed and tracked along the edges. The center section will likely be hard enough that snowshoes will hardly mark it.

The upper portion of Livermore Rd is likely to be BC tracked (ie tracked by the skiers themselves). The skiers will appreciate it if you use snowshoes and stay out of the ski track. If you must walk in the ski track, use snowshoes--postholes can be dangerous to the skiers. There are often two separate paths broken out--a ski track and a snowshoe track.

Doug

I normally do not like to snowshoe on a XC trail, but in this case I do not have much choice given my planned route. I am always respectful of XC tracks and try to avoid them at all cost. I remember seeing a sign on the Lincoln Woods trail that directs snowshoers to the center of the trail thereby allowing XC skiers to use the outer portion of the trail and was just checking to see if this is the rule or just the exception to Lincoln Woods.

Last edited:
MadRiver said:
I normally do not like to snowshoe on a XC trail, but in this case I do not have much choice given my planned route. I am always respectful of XC tacks and try to avoid them at all cost. I remember seeing a sign on the Lincoln Woods trail that directs snowshoers to the center of the trail thereby allowing XC skiers to use the outer portion of the trail and was just checking to see if this is the rule or just the exception to Lincoln Woods.
I have never seen such signs on Livermore Rd.

Lincoln Woods Tr is groomed with tracks at both sides, so asking the snowshoers to stay in the center matches my suggestion for lower Livermore Tr. Not sure if the center of Lincoln Woods Tr is intentionally skate groomed, but it is often packed.

Doug

As Livermore is a USFS road, Waterville can't really do much about foot traffic. However, you should use snowshoes in the skate lane when on foot. I have seen many bootprints and snowshoe prints to the side of even the double tracks, which if not too deep, is not really additional work. If the skate lane is set up good, then snowshoes will hardly leave a mark.

Just be ready to move over if you hear someone yell "TRACK!"

Best to stay right, and move to the middle if the "TRACK" comes from a classic skier, and to the right (over the tracks) if it comes from a skater.

On Saturday, at 1:00PM, the Livermore Trail along Avalanche Brook had not seen human traffic. Likely that has changed.

Tim

Madriver,

What route were you planning on taking? Are you going up one of the slides or Scaur? In winter, I've only gone up Pine Bend Brook.

And just to rub salt in the wounds, Tripoli Road has been the trail for ski training this year and last -- only one up there with 100% rock-free coverage AND elevation change.

Tim

Bob Kittredge said:
Madriver,

What route were you planning on taking? Are you going up one of the slides or Scaur? In winter, I've only gone up Pine Bend Brook.

I usually take the standard route of Livermore to the North slide and then over Middle and South and then out Livermore.

MadRiver said:
I usually take the standard route of Livermore to the North slide and then over Middle and South and then out Livermore.
So is North Slide easier or harder at this time of year? Is it bare rock or cramponable ice? Sounds exciting.

I’ve only hiked it in the summer months and never the winter. From Waterville Valley ski area I can see the North slide and it looks covered in snow so I am guessing I will be using crampons more than snowshoes at least on the slide. Once I’m on the ridge, I might have to switch back to snowshoes. Whatever happens, it should be an interesting day.

Right now I am think between 7:30 and 8:00am. I live on Rt. 49 so it is only a six mile drive for me.

oh, I live on the other side of Sandwich Notch Road, so it is almost 2 hours for me, at the speed limit. :rolleyes:
maybe some other time... thats just too early for me to get outa bed these dark cold mornings.
:(

I will keep you in mind for my next hike. I am an early morning hiker, so I like to get to the trailhead between 7:00 and 8:00am most days. Some even earlier if it is a long hike.

MadRiver said:
I’ve only hiked it in the summer months and never the winter. From Waterville Valley ski area I can see the North slide and it looks covered in snow so I am guessing I will be using crampons more than snowshoes at least on the slide. Once I’m on the ridge, I might have to switch back to snowshoes. Whatever happens, it should be an interesting day.
Just a caution: The North Slide could become technical if icy and avy terrain if there is enough snow to cover the rocks. The South Slide is less likely to become technical, but is also steep enough to avy if the snow is deep enough.

In general, I don't think the slides are hiked very often in winter due to the difficulty and risk. I have heard of the N Slide being skied by a group with full avy gear. (IIRC some of the skiers are active on the BBS.)

Doug

I used to be an early morning hiker too, but for some reason this winter is really taking its toll on me. I need my sleep these days. Have fun, and be safe out there!

DougPaul said:
Just a caution: The North Slide could become technical if icy and avy terrain if there is enough snow to cover the rocks. The South Slide is less likely to become technical, but is also steep enough to avy if the snow is deep enough.

Doug

If it looks too nasty I will either abandon the hike or backtrack and go up the Scaur Ridge Trail.

"I used to be an early morning hiker too, but for some reason this winter is really taking its toll on me. I need my sleep these days. Have fun, and be safe out there!"

Thanks.