Twin and Sugarloaf, Catksills, Aug 27

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
Posted: 28 Aug 2005, 10:47 AM Post subject: Twin and Sugarloaf Mntns, Catskills, Aug 27

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trail Head: Prediger Rd

Trails used: Jimmy Dolan Notch to Devil's Path to Roaring Brook Trailhead Trail

Distance: 9 miles (?)

Mountains summitted: Twin 3640' and Sugarloaf 3800'

Additional: My FIRST bicycle assisted hike! Woo hoo!

Notes: the weather was warmer in the Cats than what I've been acclimating to in the Whites and even at a nice 65 degrees, the air felt hot to me. The grind up Jimmy Dolan Notch has always been one of my least favorite access trails to the Devil's Path!
Hiked with a friend and instead of taking two cars, we took my faithful Suby with my mnt bike in tow and stashed the bike in the woods at the Roaring Kill Trailhead off Dale Rd at the terminus of our hike. Then we headed back to Prediger Rd in the car.
We hiked from 1pm to 7pm. The trails are EXTREMELY dry; the only water to be found was at the Prediger Trailhead. I was also very dismayed at the intense erosion on the Devil's Path; the rock scrambles in this section are fun and a great place to learn to scramble, INHO, but so many hikers have been undercutting the roots and vegetation to make herd paths around them, its a shame and as a long time Catksill hiker, I was not happy to see the trails so abused.

Now, for the fun part. I was relieved to find my bike, having some trepidation about locking it to a tree near the trailhead. I had lugged my sneaks and helmet for the whole hike. The ride back to Prediger Rd was just about three miles but I didn't want to leave my pal, who was watching my dog, Terra, for me, waiting too long. Total time to bike to Prediger Rd; six and a half minutes. Time to strap on bike rack,bike, and drive back, thirteen and a half minutes!
A twenty minute wait time for my friend was not bad!
And, the best part, by only using one car we saved 125 miles=5 gallons gas at 2.67 per gallon and lots of greenhouse gases were not produced. YAY!

And the day was completed by a stop at the Main Street Bistro in New Paltz, NY, for some yummy portobello burritos, vegan apple pie (trans fat free!), and cool and tasty Flying Dog IPA!

Hope everyone was able to get out and hike this weekend!

Sabrina
and Terra Firma the TrailDoggy

Last edited:
Nice TR. I've been up in the ADKs so much this summer and have been neglecting the Catskills. I've been wanting to get back up Twin for a while. I agree completely w/ the rock scramble/eroded trails comment. Big thumbs up on anything that conserves fossil fuels. :) I may have to borrow my housemates bike rack and try that some time. That meal at the Bistro sounds like a great way to end the day.

Matt

Hey Sabrina, good to see you VENTING on a different forum ;)

Bikes are great, I initially section hiked the whole DP using my bike as the return trip, I'm sure biking down Elka Park road was a lot better than driving down it. That road can get very rutted in some parts. I've never had a problem in the catskills locking my bike with a cheap cable lock. I use clipless pedals too but I've just biked in my hiking boots before. Just put it into the woods a short bit and it'll be good.

Trails everywhere are pretty dry. The fire in Harriman is proof.

Jay

Jay H said:
Hey Sabrina, good to see you VENTING on a different forum ;)

Bikes are great, I initially section hiked the whole DP using my bike as the return trip, I'm sure biking down Elka Park road was a lot better than driving down it. That road can get very rutted in some parts. I've never had a problem in the catskills locking my bike with a cheap cable lock. I use clipless pedals too but I've just biked in my hiking boots before. Just put it into the woods a short bit and it'll be good.

Trails everywhere are pretty dry. The fire in Harriman is proof.

Jay

I once walked from Prediger back to Elka Park after traversing Twin and it was pretty nice for a road walk-and I hate road walks. It's nice watching those peaks roll slowly by instead of watching the road as you zip along.

I'm definitely going to try the bike thing. I have a cheapo cable lock as well, plus my bike itself is so cheap (as Jay knows) nobody would bother stealing it anyway. More likely they'd take pity and leave a few bucks next to it! I don't think riding a few miles in my hiking boots would be that bad.

Matt

mcorsar said:
I once walked from Prediger back to Elka Park after traversing Twin and it was pretty nice for a road walk-and I hate road walks. It's nice watching those peaks roll slowly by instead of watching the road as you zip along.Matt

I did that a couple of years ago and was nearly attacked by a pack of redneck dogs, so this time I decided to play it safe this time!
Plus, biking is so much fun!

HEY JAY!!!