Two weeks in WY/UT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Reaction score
I've just booked tickets to Salt Lake City for the first two weeks of September. The idea is to hike in the Wind Rivers and Tetons, spending some time car camping, some backpacking, and some time at friends' houses in Jackson Hole. Any suggestions for places to hike, guidebooks or online forums, or other stuff?

I've been to Grand Teton so I have some good ideas for there. I've never been to the Wind Rivers, and northern Utah could also fit in to the picture somewhere.

-dave-

You should check out Chomp's trip to the Wind River Range . . . he had a lot of fun and I am sure he will chime in soon.
http://gallery.backcountry.net/chompwindriver

If you do get a chance to get to Northern Utah, I HIGHLY recommend Kings Peak, the highpoint in Utah. I stopped about a 1000 feet or less shy of the summit but that area is breathtakingly beautiful, so go :D

Have fun, I am jealous.

sli74

Last edited:
September? How are you supposed to ski Utah in September???

MichaelJ said:
September? How are you supposed to ski Utah in September???
Laying down the groundwork for staying with my friends in Jackson Hole this winter. :) Gotta do some route scouting.

-dave-

In the Wind Rivers, be sure to check out Titcomb Basin and Cirque of the Towers. Be prepared for snowfall!

Two weeks? Two words: Wind Rivers. You've already been to Grand Teton. When you see the Wind Rivers, you'll know why people consider them a favorite.

And one book, above all others: Climbing and Hiking in the Wind River Mountains, 2nd ed., by Joe Kelsey.

I don't know how much of the Teton range you have done, consider the ALAska Basin from the Idaho side, hanging Canyon near Jenny Lake, holly Lake,Paintbrush Divide, and the classic but beautiful Surprise & Ampitheater lakes. I am sure that your friends will get you to Snake River Brewing as well :D Good Luck and have fun.

Good recommendaitons from everyone on books and whatnot. If you want to ready my journal, its here:

http://chomp99.trailstories.com/j20020914.html

Basically, I got dropped off at Green River Lakes trailhead in the north and hiked south to Big Sandy. September is a perfect time to hike the Winds, but expect to see snow. I had two different storms during my week there.

If you want to hit the Cirque of the Towers while hiking the CDT (the route I took), you need to "bushwhack" over Texas Pass. I did this route in a foot of snow, so it wasn't too bad. And you can see a herd path leading up the pass. Then, you can continue out Jackass Pass to the south and rejoin the CDT to Big Sandy.

There is a small outfitter in Pinedale, WY that will do shuttles to both trailheads, so you can drop your car at one and then hike back.

Chomp, WOW. Great pics and TR. Looks fantastic, although I am a bit bummed about the potential for snow. (Yes, I am going too.)

What's the bear situation there?

Have you done the Teton Crest Trail? We did that a few years ago and loved it. I would also highly recommend sunrise from Schwabacher Landing.

When I was there, bears were not an issue at all. There is one part of the Winds that does have an occasional Grizzly, but it is in the north-east corner of the range, on the other side of Gannet Peak from the trip I did.

Snow is definitely a possibility in September out there. It got below freezing for me just about every night, and there was over a foot of fresh (and rapidly melting) snow on Texas Pass when I hiked into the Cirques.

Make sure you do some "bushwhacking" when you are out there. There are several awesome places to hike off-trail in the Winds, so if you have the time, make sure that you explore. I can't wait to see the photos!

Tticombasin and a class 3 "scamble up Freemont peak .Wyomings Second Highres and a a Hike /scamble over Dinwoody pass for views of Ganntes East face a stiknng view of you drop dwon to 10 ,00 ft but you haVEto climb back up or if you have then time . It took me an exta day from Tit comb Basin > when i was able ot do that kind of backpakcing at a good clip . I made the mistake of staying at 13k Dinwoody pass it is very exposed to the weather and allwys windy . . Ganette is a "Class 4 climb" requireing ice axeand crampns v but well worth it . if you cn finda llaa paker to rent allama from . bear canisters aee must . thy ar every where an very good at getting food . as ar3 pikas ,marmots and pocupines. along with Sparowsand coytes . Horse packers have the righ of way but are decent enough folks .
Weater can becold in September a I have climbed the Grand in late Spet and came down in a v blinding snowstorm afron the lower saddle around 11,00 or so . BringSunscrean as tghe sun is stil inense and you are above 8 k most of the time in the Winds .
Mosat importantly have a great time and take lots of photos .

I just did 2/3 of the same hike Chomp did, in reverse, starting at Big Sandy...with the hop over Texas pass. Very cool. Should be ideal in Sept..cooler temps and no mosquitos. The cirque was really impresive. Otherwise, the trek is 70% easy to moderate walking thru the high alpine flats and the manageable ups and downs. Always very scenic. The lakes are seemingly endless. The main trails..the Highline and Fremont..are not on the ridgelines. When you get there you'll see why!

I think the name of the shuttle service is Great Outdoor adventures. For $125 they drove me from Elkhart Park to Big Sandy.

After the winds I drove up and around thru Jackson to Dubois and Lander, then thru th desert, car camping along the way. Great trip.

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=552954182

David Metsky said:
I've just booked tickets to Salt Lake City for the first two weeks of September. The idea is to hike in the Wind Rivers and Tetons, spending some time car camping, some backpacking, and some time at friends' houses in Jackson Hole. Any suggestions for places to hike, guidebooks or online forums, or other stuff?

I've been to Grand Teton so I have some good ideas for there. I've never been to the Wind Rivers, and northern Utah could also fit in to the picture somewhere.

-dave-

I was in Utah about 10 years ago. I would suggest trying to get to Zion National Park. Well worth the time, good hiking. FYI, Salt Lake City has some good brew pubs.

WhiteMTHike said:
I was in Utah about 10 years ago. I would suggest trying to get to Zion National Park. Well worth the time, good hiking. FYI, Salt Lake City has some good brew pubs.
Nah, we're not going to be spending time in the desert southwest. We've both been to Zion before anyways. This trip is concentrating on the Wind Rivers and Tetons.

I think we're looking at a two night trip to Big Sandy Lake basecamp, dayhiking over Jackass Pass to the Cirque and exploring some lakes on the west side before hiking out. Then heading north to Elkhart for another overnight of some sort. We'll be working our way north towards Jackson as the week wears on. Any thoughts about hikes in the northern half of the Winds?

-dave-

Squaretop from Green River Lakes TH

Hi Dave:
I'm not sure if this is far enough north for your plans, but the hike to Squaretop from Green River Lakes traverses some beautiful, lush country.
In the Winds, its all good.
Ed

Climber's Ranch

Dave,

For some comfortable "camping," visit the ACC Climber's Ranch in the Tetons. You need not be an Alpine Club member to stay there, and it offers lots of ammenities at a low price (by Jackson Hole standards).

September might be pretty quiet there, but it is usually a good place to hook up with other hikers and climbers between trips into the mountains.

cb