Underwater Visit To Carrigain, 6/3/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
June 3, 2012: Carrigain

Trails: Sawyer River Road, Signal Ridge Trail

Summits: Carrigain

Hikers: NH Tramper (Mike), Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

This weekend we decided to change things up a little. The forecast from the National Weather Service seemed to indicate Saturday would be terrible but Sunday would not be as bad; not a great day but too good to sit on the couch in front of the television. Sue was able to shuffle her obligations for the day and our plan was set to visit Carrigain. On the morning drive as we passed through the Lincoln area we noticed the Pemi was running pretty high. Everything was running pretty high. The area had received over four inches of rain in the past twenty-four hours and we were prepared for high water; we had sandals and towels along with the rest of our wet-weather gear. We made the usual final stop at the Highland Center before hitting the trailhead at the end of Sawyer River Road. Already there and waiting for us was NH Tramper (Mike) prepared to continue his NH48 quest.

It was gray, cloudy, with high humidity, but nothing was falling from the sky, which was better than the forecast predicted. We put on our rain jackets, grabbed our things, and started out Sawyer River Road. Along the way we noticed new areas of erosion from the storm. There was damage visible in the areas repaired from the effects of TS Irene. For some reason the road is not being opened as usual. It seems to me some vehicle traffic would help compact the road surface and limit further damage; but I’m not a road engineer. Sue and I have completed this hike quite a few times and except for one occasion, each was from the trailhead lot at the end of Sawyer River Road. The road walk along Sawyer River Road is a nice warm-up to the day.

We reached the summer trailhead, took one look at the high water of Whiteface Brook, and continued across the bridge for the bushwhack to bypass the early crossings. Back at the trailhead I made the suggestion to Mike that he add water footwear to his pack it he had it. I was pretty sure we were going to need it. Even though it’s an easy and short bushwhack to avoid a couple difficult crossings that are now merged into one huge crossing due to the high water, we all managed to get pretty wet plowing through the growth along the way. We hit the trail and headed for Carrigain. Along with the usual mud pits, many long sections of Signal Ridge Trail are currently running brooks. There was still no precipitation falling but we were having a really wet day.

We arrived to the Signal Ridge - Carrigain Notch trails split and prepared for our first wet crossing; Carrigain Brook. Out came the sandals. A few weeks earlier, Sue and I enjoyed an easy rock-hop crossing of Carrigain Brook but conditions have changed. One by one we all made our way across in thigh-deep ice-water. That mountain water sure is refreshing! A short distance further we made our way across another smaller brook and stopped to dry off and go back to our hiking boots.

From here to Signal Ridge was generally clear sailing. There are a couple stoop-under blowdowns and no other issues along the way. Except for watching foot placement on wet roots and green rocks we had no real concerns; just swim uphill. After passing the turn at ~3000 feet and starting the long traverse the on-trail flow was nearly gone. We were still hiking wet but the trail was drier and there was no mud. Soon, we were arriving to the open areas of Signal Ridge. The cloud cover was so low there was no view at all. Not even the summit tower could be seen from Signal Ridge.

The temperature was cool and there was a breeze that made overall conditions uncomfortable. We didn’t hang around on Signal Ridge for very long. We were quickly back into the thick conifers headed to the summit. The final half mile to the summit is an easy climb and we were soon climbing the tower. I don’t think we were on the tower for more than a couple minutes and then perhaps a couple more at ground level before we made the u-turn and headed back.

On our way back across Signal Ridge we met four others on their way to the summit. We stopped for a short visit but wanted to stay warm and soon continued on our way. We splashed our way down Signal Ridge Trail to the area of Carrigain Brook, stopped to make a change in footwear, and again got really refreshed on the stream crossings. As we were changing back to hiking boots for the final hike out the rain started to pick up in overall intensity. Throughout the day when there was precipitation it was very light. Now, it’s more than very light, but not a downpour. Also, the mosquitoes heard we were in the area and came to visit. These guys made changing footwear a little less pleasant.

Once again on the move we cruised to the Whiteface Brook crossing, bushwhacked the right bank, made the left on Sawyer River Road, and did a non-stop road walk back to the trailhead lot. I think we were all cold and wet and wanted dry and warm. It didn’t take long to toss our things into the vehicles and head out. Sue and I made the usual stop at the Highland Center for a quick change. Alright, that’s better; dry and warm. Once again comfortable we hit the highway south.

Days like this one are always better with good company. Believe it or not, I think we all enjoyed the day.

Pictures will follow.

:)