Unprepared Hikers On Washington-Union Leader Article

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quietman

Reaction score
Unprepared Hikers

Two notes of interest: The couple with 3 children carrying 2 toy poodles :eek:
And almost 200 people so far this year alone have been transported down the mountain because they couldn't make it under their own power :(

Our first trip up Washington, sometime in the early 70's, we got 'lost' below the summit and had to just head straight for the top. We were pretty tired, and my 6-year old brother had an 'intestinal issue'. There was 6 of us, and the Cog let us hitch a ride down -the last ride of the day- for $20 for all of us.

I hiked the ammo trail with my sister and parents in august of 1980. We all wore cut-off jeans and tees and each had a cotton sweatshirt for warmth. A couple of apples and oranges and some water...talk about unprepared!

I just think that the more publicity there is, the better informed people will be.
There will always be well meaning people who get in over their heads. Heck, I ended up hiking down from Bondcliff in 15 degree weather with a foot of snow in Converse all stars and cotton socks after falling in the stream the day before.

But carrying two toy poodles with 3 young kids????

Last edited:
Interesting article. Unfortunately, it will have zero impact on the people who need it the most.

WMUR TV this morning was reporting on the article (sorry, no link), and they said that on a typical weekend 300 people need to take alternate transportation down.

That can't be right...can it?

dug said:
WMUR TV this morning was reporting on the article (sorry, no link), and they said that on a typical weekend 300 people need to take alternate transportation down.

If it is that is sad. I know we have all been unprepared at some point in our hiking lives. That is what makes us more prepared today. A "beast" of a mountain like Washington anything can happen with the weather.

I have never hiked in the Whites but at most of the trailheads to the presidential range are there warning signs to grab peoples attention? Just curious.

Adam

1ADAM12 said:
I have never hiked in the Whites but at most of the trailheads to the presidential range are there warning signs to grab peoples attention? Just curious.

Adam

Yes, but they are obviously ignored. I was reading a thru-hikers trailjournal this morning and she found the warning sign on Moosilauke to be hilarious. I was a bit taken back since she is a seasoned hiker, but then again this is her first trip to the Whites. Since she still has to do the Franconia Ridge and the Presis, I have a feeling she will not find it so hilarious if the weather turns.

dug said:

I imagine there are quite a few that plan the hike one way and a ride the other, not a bad way to see the mountain.
Like the plate says, "Live Free or Die". The alternative would be over regulation and limited access.

Yawn...

You have a potentially serious mountain with very easy access to major population and vacation areas. There is also a high student population in these population areas. The net effect is that there will be a never-ending stream of beginners and non-skilled hikers, some of whom will get into trouble.

Short of fencing the mountain in and placing armed guards every 10 feet along the perimeter, this will continue. Attempting to educate the visitors will probably help, but many will not listen or understand. And even skilled/experienced hikers get into trouble occasionally.

Doug

It is true that most of the unprepared hikers I see are young "studs" (students) who think they can do anything. I just did Snowy this weekend and every year the same thing. Two guys who couldn't have been older than 21 had no pack and only one bottle of water each. They stop me at the part where the real climbing starts and ask "are we there yet?". :confused:
It is also true that we have all made mistakes (I know I have :eek: ) and we learn from them. Thats how I got to be as old as I am :rolleyes:

This blows my mind how silly and ignorant people can act by taking their canines and unprepared children.

On part of regulation it would not surprise me if something was done. I do remember reading in "Appalachia" a humorous prediction written 1999 what the Whites will be like the future-one of them was a lottery IIRC to hike etc.

Since people are unlearned of the death toll listed in the Adams bunker. The only way to effectively address it would be similar regulations like at Baxter Park. Having not done the process myself I am open to be corrected. However it would not be right to put too many rules on climbing. Unfortunately (not to deviate too far) we are coming into a time when such is coming into use.

MadRiver said:
. I was reading a thru-hikers trailjournal this morning and she found the warning sign on Moosilauke to be hilarious. I was a bit taken back since she is a seasoned hiker, but then again this is her first trip to the Whites. Since she still has to do the Franconia Ridge and the Presis, I have a feeling she will not find it so hilarious if the weather turns.
Years ago, in the age of dinosaurs, I did the same thing as a newbie on Mt Mansfield. There was a sign on the LT warning of dangers of hypothermia. It was the month of August and I can guarantee you, I was NOT laughing on the way down. I was way too busy freezing in my cotton clothes, in the nasty storm.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."
Whatever the reason, the present "hiker ed" program is not effective if the numbers presented on this forum are correct. Maybe it's time to try a new approach, just like we do in our schools when the kids are failing to learn their ABC's.
There is a way to solve this problem. We just haven't found it yet.

Mt. Washington is a State Park, with a railroad and a road to the top. The regulations on Baxter would never fly.

I am curious if the numbers I heard on TV this morning were accurate? 300 a weekend this summer. That's something like 1500 people. That can't be. :confused:

Ridgewalker said:
This blows my mind how silly and ignorant people can act by taking their canines and unprepared children.
I'll hazard a guess that most of those people were unaware that the hike might be anything other than a nice walk in the woods. Unless they have been above timberline they have no idea what the trail will be like and unless they have been there in bad weather they have no idea how bad it can get.

I once invited a (non-experienced hiker) friend along on a summer Lafayette--Falling Waters loop hike and started listing the required gear... Her response was "why be so negative?".

Doug

From the link above, it claims 200 this season:

Lack of proper gear, especially adequate foot gear, is a typical problem for hikers who have reached the summit. Nearly 200 people this season have had to be taken down the mountain, via the Auto Road or the Cog Railroad, he said. These trips cost the hiker; Pelchat said he's even seen people carrying no money or credit cards.

FYI,

Tim

bikehikeskifish said:
From the link above, it claims 200 this season:

Lack of proper gear, especially adequate foot gear, is a typical problem for hikers who have reached the summit. Nearly 200 people this season have had to be taken down the mountain, via the Auto Road or the Cog Railroad, he said. These trips cost the hiker; Pelchat said he's even seen people carrying no money or credit cards.

FYI,

Tim

Which, makes more sense and was what I read. I swear, at 6:00 am this morning they used that ridiculously higher number. It seems unfathomable.