USGS monument replicas as gifts?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if I am correct but I think I have seen some replica USGS markers at The Mountaineer in Keene Valley...

Jay

Honestly, this is one of those things that I hope my parents and in-laws never discover. One of those things that seems cool at first (not really) and then turns out to serve absolutely no purpose at all. This goes in the "miniature trekking poles for the dog" pile ;) :p

-Dr. Wu

Saw a few of these at EMS some time ago... not sure if they still carry them.

added absolute purpose

Maybe I'll get one of those things for my last 46r peak. :)

I could keep it on my desk as a paper weight or just to look at. :cool:

Last edited:
Honestly, this is one of those things that I hope my parents and in-laws never discover. One of those things that seems cool at first (not really) and then turns out to serve absolutely no purpose at all. This goes in the "miniature trekking poles for the dog" pile ;) :p

-Dr. Wu

come on, Wu, you don't think everyone needs a Mt. Washington USGS survey marker paperweight!?:confused: ;)

Don't remember where I got it but I got a Katahdin benchmark tie-tack for my husband when we finished the NE67.

come on, Wu, you don't think everyone needs a Mt. Washington USGS survey marker paperweight!?:confused: ;)
It's fine if anyone else wants it. I just don't like having "stuff" around unless is serves a (useful) function. Despite my protests to the contrary, people think I need all sorts of gifts during the Christmas season... and since they know that I like to hike, they think I love stuff like this but I don't and I usually end up pawning it off to the Pakistani dude that owns the Magic Crystal Bodega down the street.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I have also seen them in the gift shop on the peak. As well as the North Conway EMS? I think.

And yes. I believe I bought the small one. Its a hat thingy. No I don't wear it but I do have it. :p

Keith

Did I miss the Memo about Monadnock?

Same web store...different mountain

http://www.mountainclimb.com/store/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=106

Monadnock

Coordinates: N42° 51' 40'' W072° 06' 35''
Elevation: 3,165 ft.

The most climbed mountain in North America is now thought to be the most climbed mountain in the world! No longer second to Fuji!

I have a replica Mt. Rainier benchmark of pewter. I have to say that after a few days the newness wore off, and now I am in Wu's camp.
Mail it to me then! :eek: :D

Yes, I did get 2 as a birthday present recently, and I use them as coasters. One at work, one at home. And I love them, Laurie! :D

We like to search for them, and we even uncovered a long lost missing marker up at BLM this summer.

The most climbed mountain in North America is now thought to be the most climbed mountain in the world! No longer second to Fuji!
Only if driving to 1400' and gaining 1800' on foot "counts" but driving to 7000' and gaining 5000' on foot "doesn't count."

I'm not sure how I feel about writing "unlawul to disturb" on a zipper pull...