Using Google Maps to mark and link to your own photo gallery!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Hi guys,
I know some people have their own websites, so this might be of special interest: Some guy is using the Google Maps API to be able to link coordinates to specific albums on his site: http://gallery.jobemedia.org/map_about.html

One could mark every summit he's hiked (you can also have multiple hikes per coordinates) and have each of your entries have: Date, thumbnail pic, small description, etc. If the user selects an entry, it simply links to the full blown gallery.

It would make a cool addition to this site as well: Where we could keep a list of every summits people have hiked in their profiles. This isn't a small change though...but I'd be willing to volonteer some time if others think it's a good idea!

Fish

hikingfish said:
Hi guys,
I know some people have their own websites, so this might be of special interest: Some guy is using the Google Maps API to be able to link coordinates to specific albums on his site: http://gallery.jobemedia.org/map_about.html

One could mark every summit he's hiked (you can also have multiple hikes per coordinates) and have each of your entries have: Date, thumbnail pic, small description, etc. If the user selects an entry, it simply links to the full blown gallery.

It would make a cool addition to this site as well: Where we could keep a list of every summits people have hiked in their profiles. This isn't a small change though...but I'd be willing to volonteer some time if others think it's a good idea!

Fish
Another approach:

Andrew LaVigne's web page has shots that he linked with his GPS, using the EXIF data, to produce maps. Very sophisticated!

Ive been using Google maps for my website peak maps since October. It is VERY handy and once you get everything all squared away updating the database is as simple as adding coordinates and some basic fields like: summit elevation, peak name and the link to the image.

Mine isn't very sophisticated, I just import the data from an XML file. It gets the job done tho :)

Website link is in my signature if you want to take a look.

Latest posts