Using home hardware tarps for a tent?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Hi Guys and Gals,
I'm thinking of trying to do a tarp-tent (kinda like a megamid) using an el-cheapo home hardware-type tarp. I have a VERY talented seamstress available (mom :D ), however I was wondering if it was possible to cut those tarps and install a zipper in them? I was also worried about condensation in such a tent...although provided I could install zippers I would install 2 fair sized air traps for ventilation.

Fish

One thing to note is that generic tarps easily shred - so, for instance, if there's heavy wind, you'll have a lot of holes!

Most of the pyramid style winter tents are made with a coated nylon that is not breathable, working on the assumption that they are used in the winter or are ventilated. Dont waste your time on the blue woven tarps, they dont hold up for very long and dont hold a stitch very well. The silver or green coated heavy duty tarps last longer and hold a stitch well but are heavy. I would suggest buying some surplus balloon nylon or take your chance on the Walmart fabric bargain bin for some lightweight coated nylon.

peakbagger said:
Most of the pyramid style winter tents are made with a coated nylon that is not breathable, working on the assumption that they are used in the winter or are ventilated. Dont waste your time on the blue woven tarps, they dont hold up for very long and dont hold a stitch very well. The silver or green coated heavy duty tarps last longer and hold a stitch well but are heavy. I would suggest buying some surplus balloon nylon or take your chance on the Walmart fabric bargain bin for some lightweight coated nylon.

Funny, I was actually reading about that this morning after doing a search on google. I might try to hit the local walmart and see if there's anything worth while!

And to answer the other question, it's not a permanent shelter.

Thanks!

Fish

Gris' Rule #1

Do it once and do it right.

You want to start with a silnylon tarp (check Campmor) and some seam sealer. Use waterproof thread so it won't rot.

I made my own tarp tent a few years ago and have never looked back. Make it just big enough to put a pre-made 2 person bug tent under it and you have the ultimate backpacking shelter.

Here is what i ended up with.

Tarp shelters without sewing

Folks might be interested in this site http://www.equipped.org/tarp-shelters.pdf featuring in-depth discussion of a number of shelter designs formed by folding a tarp—sorta like live in origami. Lots of complex designs of limited practical value but I have used the Biviy Bag Cornet on page 28 of the PDF file.

For outdoor fabrics you can go to Ragged Mountain in Intervale, NH. Or if you're looking to order over the internet i've had great success with www.owfinc.com. I bought 20+ yards of the silnylon 2nds (to get into "wholesale" pricing) and it ended up costing me less than $4 per yard.