Vermont and Maine 4K hiking maps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldMan

Reaction score
I've finished my NH48 I am moving on to my NE67. I like to carry a paper map with me as well as my GPS. For NH's 4Ks I relied on the Map Adventures 3rd Edition White Mountains Trail Map and found it excellent. It had all 48 summits shown with accurate trails and distances.

So what do folks use for Maine's 4Ks and Vermont's 4Ks? Any recommendations on good trail maps?

Map Adventures makes a couple maps you might be interested in. I have a copy that liberated itself from McRat that covers Camel's Hump and Mansfield. But they do apparently make a Long Trail version which would cover 4 of the 5. Killington....not sure if it is contained on any of them.

Brian

Yes, the Long Trail map by Wilderness Map is the one I use still. I have most of their maps and find them very easy to read.
Maine, well right now it's still too far away to consider.

DaveG.

I use the Long Trail Map for VT and the Maine AT Section Map and Books for Maine. We also have a copy of the AMC Maine Mntn Guide.

I added to those what is called

The Complete map of Mt Katahdin and baxter state park
by Jim Witherell

though for Baxter we found the AMC maps were fine

I met the owner of Wilderness Map System when I was in the whites last year, a fantastic guy who gave Mimi and I a ride from The Galehead River Road to Zealand road and starting giving us maps left and right. I knew I had a Long Trail map but didn't remember the company it was from and turns out, it was indeed a WMS map. He did mention they were coming out with a new VT Long Trail map when we saw him last year but not sure how soon or if the 3rd edition is the latest or not. I like the maps and he has maps for sections of the Whites too (that he gave us!!!).

As far as Maine, I have the AMC Maine Mtn guide and also a WMS of Katahdin (that the WMS guy gave me!) and I have I think the Map Adventures series of Baxter Park which is a park map unlike the WMS which is just Katahdin Peak.

jay

The VT map I mentioned above (Wilderness Map) covers the entire Long Trail, end to end, and includes all five VT 4Ks plus the NEHH that are close to the LT. I have not purchased a guide book to go along with this as the 4Ks are pretty straight forward and the NEHH are described in the sheets from the FTFC.

Tim

Great info, thanks. Looks like a stop at EMS tomorrow is in order to pick up some books/maps.

Question?

Why do you have a picture of me as your avatar? Spooky! :D
With the hat and glasses we're almost dead ringers, though you might be insulted if you ever met me. :eek:
KDT

The Long Trail Map from the Wilderness Map Company is good enough for the 4k's. Watch out in other places though, it has some really bad errors. The 3rd edition is better than the 2nd. Of course, just the simple maps in the Long Trail Guide are sufficient for the 4k's, I thought. I also have the map that Brian mentioned and it is quite detailed.

The AMC Maine Mountain Guide's maps are all you need for the Maine 4k's. Of course, about 2 weeks after I bought the 8th edition, the 9th edition came out which has the mileage printed on the maps. Just my luck.

The Long Trail Map from the Wilderness Map Company is good enough for the 4k's. Watch out in other places though, it has some really bad errors.

Yes indeed. In the Lake Willoughby area, for example, they show a road going through west of the Lake but east of the Wheeler Mt road. There's no such road - trust me, I tried to drive it. They also misdraw the connection of the Moose Mountain trail over to Hor, although I have to admit I haven't walked that stretch myself, so it could be that every other map and the trail signs are wrong...

The 3rd edition is better than the 2nd.

Not near Willoughby, they're unchanged. I spoke to a nice lady at the outdoors store in St. Johnsbury, who said there's a project to update the maps around the Lake, and so I mentioned these questions.

It's a parochial concern, I admit, but then it's my parish, so to speak. I don't want to undercut someone trying hard to make good maps - I'll happily buy a new (fixed) edition of the map if/when it comes out.