Vibram soles compound clue answered

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
This may be common knowledge somewhere, but it wasn't in Jason's Boot Durability thread.
(Be honest DougPaul; did you know this ? ;) )
If your Vibram sole has a green dot/plug in it, this is their harder compound. More durable but less sticky.
No green plug = softer compound.
No word yet if there are any other plugs for another compound.

"The Vibram octagonal yellow label is the trademark for products made by
Vibram in Massachusetts, Italy, China & Brazil. It does not signify any
type of design or rubber compound. If there is a green dot in the heel
it is a harder rubber sole compound."

Linda Bradley
Vibram/Quaabug Corporation

Thanks Chip, this actually is good to know for future boot/ shoe shopping.
Personaly , I'll take the soft compound for trail use, and save the harder compound for street / everyday wear .

Dave

Makes sense, my old Vasques are yellow tab with green dot. No wonder they lasted so long!
The REI's that I refuse to wear again have no green dot, but they are the least sticky boots I've ever owned. Hmmmmmm..........

Thanks for the info, Chip!!!

Doug must know all of this! Doesn't DougPaul know *everything*?!
:)

I like the traditional Norwegian welt hiking boots because I need the ankle support, they last longer, and easily resoled. Have 2 pairs of Raichle Palue SA's and a similar pair of Lowas. Both have Vibram yellow tags, and have never felt they weren't 'sticky' enough.

Another excellent, albeit proprietary sole, is from Salomon which they call 'Contragrip'. Have a couple pairs of lighter hikers what that and have found it durable and grippy. Don't think they cross-license though, or if they do, I've never seen it with their label on another brand.

To clarify, the soles with the green plug are harder, no plug is softer. They'll all have the yellow Vibram logo.
I inferred softer = stickier, but that might not be the case. However, if softer isn't stickier, what would be the point ?

Last edited:
Chip said:
To clarify, the soles with the green plug are harder, no plug is softer. They'll all have the yellow Vibram logo.
I inferred softer = stickier, but that might not be the case. However, if softer isn't stickier, what would be the point ?

There are green tab Vibrams about.

Kevin, I agree, Salomon contragrip is a great tread, I have two pair of thier trailrunners and they are very sticky.

Another vote for the Salomon Contragrip and trail runners - veeery sticky. I like.

cbcbd said:
Another vote for the Salomon Contragrip and trail runners - veeery sticky. I like.

and a third - I love em. In fact, I am slowly becoming a "trail runners" hiker. I am finally get over that "its easier to twist an ankle fallacy" idea.

boots are old school! :rolleyes: :p

You can find detailed descriptions of Vibram soles, including their compound properties, at Vibram Repair. This list doesn't identify the compounds by name and you'd need to register with Vibram to get that info. However, you can also find the compound names matched with the respective soles at Vibram Sport and Outdoor -- European production.

Last edited:
sardog1 said:
You can find detailed descriptions of Vibram soles, including their compound properties, at Vibram Repair. This list doesn't identify the compounds by name and you'd need to register with Vibram to get that info. However, you can also find the compound names matched with the respective soles at Vibram Sport and Outdoor -- European production.
Interesting (or I'm wasting time while waiting for trade reports or I haven't been getting out hiking much lately... :eek: ) as all of their descriptions:
"Consisting of a compound specially designed for mountaineering footwear which ensures a good grip on different grounds." seem to be the same for green dot and no green dot soles. There also appears to be a red dot that looks like the sole of a winter boot.

Funny how a mystique grows up about a brand name. "Vibram" is a name that has been around for a long time. It was a great idea 70+ years ago to use vulcanized rubber for a shoe sole, but in this day and age most any recreational shoe will use vulcanized rubber in the sole. I bought a pair of Montrail Gore-tex trail runners about a month ago. They are very light weight and very sticky. I really like this combination so far, but the rubber is very thin, hence I'll bet I don't get too many miles out of them. It does not say "Vibram" anywhere on the shoe or the packaging.

Approach shoes are designed for technical climbers to get over semi-technical terrain to the base of climb proper. Many of them use the same (or similar) rubber as is used on climbing shoes. I don't know how long they will last, but if you want sticky shoes, you might look into them.

Doug

a little more info from Vibram (I think this is all we're gonna get on this subject);

"The green dot signifies a dual hardness compound which means the sole
would be more durable and harder and may not grip as well as a single
hardness sole. The red dot signifies fire compound. The Style #100 is
available in our Fire & Ice compound which offers good heat resistance
and slip resistance."

Linda Bradley
Vibram/Quabaug Corporation

Paradox said:
Funny how a mystique grows up about a brand name. "Vibram" is a name that has been around for a long time. It was a great idea 70+ years ago to use vulcanized rubber for a shoe sole, but in this day and age most any recreational shoe will use vulcanized rubber in the sole.

Great point. I too wonder whether the name Vibram really means superior quality, or if it is hype. I wonder the same about whether Gore Tex is truly superior to other waterproof/breathable materials.

Marty

marty said:
Great point. I too wonder whether the name Vibram really means superior quality, or if it is hype. I wonder the same about whether Gore Tex is truly superior to other waterproof/breathable materials.

The Vibram label does mean “superior quality” in my experience and my book. I’ve made tracks with many different Vibram soles on different types of footwear and all did well in their intended use. Some types wear away readily (others don’t), but I have never had a Vibram sole fail structurally. I can’t say that for soles from some other manufacturers.

However, I think it is a mistake to think there can be only one sole manufacturer (or manufacturer of anything else, for that matter) that puts out products of “superior” quality.

G.

Grumpy said:
However, I think it is a mistake to think there can be only one sole manufacturer (or manufacturer of anything else, for that matter) that puts out products of “superior” quality.

G.

And likewise, there is no guarantee that a previously high-quality company will remain so. I can think of one PartIcularly huge cycling apparel company whose quality has suffered as a result of offshore manufacturing, and the patent on Velcro(tm) expiring, among possible other reasons... Prices never went down, however :mad:

Tim