Video - pulling moose from frozen lake

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have the video to prove it, but a few years ago there was a moose that got a leg trapped in a rusted culvert on Sandwich Notch Road. Part of the culvert broke through as the moose was crossing the road, and it took several hours for some local folks to help get the hoof free. The extent of injury was unknown, but the moose was able to walk away.

What did I miss? They say something like "you'll see why in a minute" (why it was so hard for him to get out) and then they show him climb out himself and walk away. I expected to see only three legs or a big block of ice or something. He looked fine walking out of the hole. And most interestingly to me, the "rescuers" were more of coaxers. Unless the hole really froze around him and the chainsaws really did cut him free, rather than simply scaring him out.

Tim

I think "you can see why" refers to the fact the ice keeps breaking away as he tries to haul himself out.
It's hard to say when an animal calls it quits and gives up. It may have exhausted itself from previous attemps to haul itself up and out .
The rescuers supplied the extra motivation.

spider solo said:
I think "you can see why" refers to the fact the ice keeps breaking away as he tries to haul himself out.
It's hard to say when an animal calls it quits and gives up. It may have exhausted itself from previous attemps to haul itself up and out .
The rescuers supplied the extra motivation.
Looked to me like the rescuers also broke the ice over to a shallower area which made it easier for the moose to climb out.

Doug

Yaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!! That made my morning! Thanks very much. Those are nice people. Aren't they wonderful creatures?!

happy trails :)

Very nice! The moose seemed to know he was helping them...he was so calm, and then when he got back out, he didn't act threatened. -Mattl

Mattl said:
Very nice! The moose seemed to know he was helping them...he was so calm, and then when he got back out, he didn't act threatened. -Mattl

Agreed. Moose are not the lumbering dummies they are said to be. They are people.

I think DougPaul figured it out (as usual). Upon further review, we can see by his body position that his hind legs are not touching bottom at first, but then after moving forward we can see his rear end is higher and he is trying to jump off his hind legs, as opposed to pulling himself up with his front legs, as he was earlier. Good call. Smart work by the rescuers, also.

Tim, I agree about the reporter. Par for course.

happy trails :)