Views and Brews 'Hike' - New York City - 6/26

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
I'm going to be in New York City, Sunday, June 26th. I'm driving my oldest child to JFK, so he can travel to Russia to study Biology this summer. He likes hiking and birdwatching, so hopefully, he'll get to do those things over there as well.

Anyway, we were planning to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, (or as far as we care to go), and then go visit a Pub on the list. We'll probably hit the pub in the early afternoon, so we'd start the walk mid to late morning.

Any takers?

Does anyone know the best place to park so we can start the walk from the Manhattan side ? South Street Seaport ?

I'm there. Just tell me when and where. The bridge is walking distance from where I live. BTW: the bridge is a 10-15 minute walk, so unless you're walking miles into Brooklyn, you don't need to alloocate hours for this trip.

You can park for a fee near the Seaport. The parking is under the highway from the Seaport north for several blocks.

Feel free to PM me.

Pb

Last edited:
Papa Bear said:
I'm there. Just tell me when and where. The bridge is walking distance from where I live. BTW: the bridge is a 10-15 minute walk, so unless you're walking miles into Brooklyn, you don't need to alloocate hours for this trip.

You can park for a fee near the Seaport. The parking is under the highway from the Seaport north for several blocks.

Ok, maybe we need to find a longer approach, or go across and walk around for a while.

In any case, shall we say 11:00, and meet at the Seaport main entrance? Do you know the names of any businesses right there? I'll be the only one carrying a backpack and a pole, although I might not use them for this 'hike'! :D

The Pub I had in mind is The West End Pub

BTW, if you have any other suggestions for our New York City hikes, feel free to PM me...

Tom Rankin said:
The Pub I had in mind is The West End Pub
BTW, if you have any other suggestions for our New York City hikes, feel free to PM me...
I PMed you. The West End is far from the Brooklyn Bridge but there are plenty of alternatives.

Walking over the Brooklyn Bridge and back via either the Manhattan Bridge or the Williamsburg Bridge makes an interesting loop. Manhattan Bridge brings you back into Manhattan in Chinatown. The Williamsburg Bridge comes in on the lower east side, and from there you can walk along the river back to the Seaport.

If I were you (and unfortunately I'm going to be out of town that weekend) I'd consider going over the Manhattan Bridge and then back via the Brooklyn Bridge as the skyline is pretty spectacular on the way back.

You might want to think about grabbing the drink at either DBA, McSorely's, or Hop Devil in the East Village or Blind Tiger in Soho.

The Brooklyn Bridge is a great urban walk. It can be extended on the Brooklyn side by walking into Brooklyn Heights and onto the Brooklyn Promenade, which will give you great views of Manhattan.

The West End Pub is about 8 miles from the Brooklyn Bridge. It would be an interesting walk to go from the Brooklyn Bridge to the Pub on the Upper West Side. You could take the subway or a cab back to the Bridge to get your car.

I'd join you on this, but not on a Sunday.

Enjoy.

I've never done it, but I might consider a "hike" around Coney Island.
A couple beers and a Brat, then a short drive down the Belt Parkway to JFK.
Yum.

There was a great open-air bar almost under the Brooklyn Bridge on the Manhattan side. It was a Wall St. dive that newly licensed reps would be taken to. The guys would have their ties cut off and hung up in the bar.
The women apparently didn't have ties. But I'm just relaying my observations.

Last edited:
JeffAndrews said:
You might want to think about grabbing the drink at either DBA, McSorely's, or Hop Devil in the East Village or Blind Tiger in Soho.

The places you guys mention may all be great bars, but as far as I know, they do not serve beer brewed on premises, (and that includes Heartland, a recent development). As such, they are not on my Views and Brews list. That doesn't make them bad! :D

Anyway, once the 'hike' is over, we are free to convey ourselves to the Pub by any means necessary. I know it's not really walking distance to the Pub from the bridge, sorry I didn't make that clear.

Tom Rankin said:
The places you guys mention may all be great bars, but as far as I know, they do not serve beer brewed on premises, (and that includes Heartland, a recent development). As such, they are not on my Views and Brews list. That doesn't make them bad! :D

Anyway, once the 'hike' is over, we are free to convey ourselves to the Pub by any means necessary. I know it's not really walking distance to the Pub from the bridge, sorry I didn't make that clear.
I had a beer last Tuesday at Heartland (in Union Square). Definately brewed on the premises.

Papa Bear said:
I had a beer last Tuesday at Heartland (in Union Square). Definately brewed on the premises.
It's certainly possible I was misled, since the bartender said "we brew it ourself". Think I'll walk over there right now and check it out ... and maybe see how it tastes ... maybe two ...then mabe I'll have to walk to Brooklyn and see ... then maybe ... :)

I'd like to join in, I'm starting p/t for my knee next week and maybe a little hike over the bridge to a pub is what the dr. ordered...I'll watch the posts...

i used to ride my bike over the williamsburg then hit the brooklyn brewery for some cheap fresh cold ones, some people took tours.
heard some talk of the brewery moving but dont know for sure?
lots of bars in williamsburg.

Papa Bear said:
It's certainly possible I was misled, since the bartender said "we brew it ourself". Think I'll walk over there right now and check it out ... and maybe see how it tastes ... maybe two ...then mabe I'll have to walk to Brooklyn and see ... then maybe ... :)
Well, I went over there and dang! forgot to ask. But the oatmeal stout sure is grand. Guess I'll have to go back tomorrow. :)

Seriuously, the big stainless steel tanks are gone. Looks like Tom is right. The cost of real estate must have taken it's toll. Moved the manufacturing to Brooklyn and opend more retail places in Manhattan. I guess last Tuesday I just wan't paying attention to such things. But the beer sure tastes as good as ever. I must go back there tomorrow ... hey, it's only 8:00 PM ... surely they're still open tonight ...

Chip said:
There was a great open-air bar almost under the Brooklyn Bridge on the Manhattan side. It was a Wall St. dive that newly licensed reps would be taken to. The guys would have their ties cut off and hung up in the bar.
The women apparently didn't have ties. But I'm just relaying my observations.

I believe you're talking about Jeremy's Ale House. I use to love going there. They have since moved and the place just isn't the same. They also don't have as good of a beer selection as they used to.

Plans so far

Here's the plan:

Meet at 11:00 right where Fulton Street meets the waterfront (sort of the entrance to the Seaport). Show up looking 'distinctive'. :D

If I remember, I'll bring a hiking pole, to identify myself. I'm 6', 175 lbs, 45 years old, brown/gray hair, w/mustache. I will be accompanied by my girlfriend, and son David, 19.

We think going over to the Brooklyn Heights promenade and back will give us the maximum amount of views and pleasant urban environment. I'm told that it's over 4 miles, considering we'll have to walk up to the bridge from the Seaport. There should be adequate parking near the Seaport.

Afterwards, we'll drive or take public transportation to the West End Pub. I will have a car, but not much extra room. I'm guessing we will get to the Pub around 1:00 - 1:30.

If we get enough people, can we call this VFTT 7.8 ? :D

Tom Rankin said:

Ah, I should have checked the rules. (it's always the rules that trip me up!)

The walk on the Brooklyn Heights promenade is lovely and has great views of the city! Enjoy!

If you get hungry on the hike, there is a great ice cream place down under the bridge on the brooklyn side:
http://www.newyorkmetro.com/pages/details/8488.htm

JeffAndrews said:
Ah, I should have checked the rules. (it's always the rules that trip me up!)

The walk on the Brooklyn Heights promenade is lovely and has great views of the city! Enjoy!

If you get hungry on the hike, there is a great ice cream place down under the bridge on the brooklyn side:
http://www.newyorkmetro.com/pages/details/8488.htm

The rules are pretty loose about the hiking, but for the beer, we have to draw the line! :D

Thanks for the tip on the ice cream place!

It's a maybe for me...saw the dr. yesterday...go figure...got arthritis under the knee cap...they worked on it , did some drilling, and will take 3-6 months to get better..have lots of swelling....I'm must avoid stairs and bending it, but he said i can walk as much as i can tolerate...Thx for asking Gris....maybe i'll park closer to the bridge and wait to join for the bridge walk..